How can I stop my laptop’s processor fan from running at high speed ALL the time and preventing boot up?

George Starcher May 27, 2010

My Compaq Presario SR2010NX, when turned on the processor fan runs at high speed all the time. Hence, the computer will not boot up at all. I disconnected CD drive and all external ports and still same thing. Took hard drive out and it works fine in another computer. CMOS battery is ok. Not sure why it does this. Owner said it did it sometimes and rebooted and it stopped. Now it does it all the time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1. Shad_far2002

I bought a new 3400 vostro Dell. it was ok when i bought but it's fan works in high speed since 10 days ago and it makes me worried, it's heat is almost high but something that is strange that is it was ok in the first week.. so what has happened for this new laptop?

Please post a new question. Otherwise your chances for an answer are slim. The 'Ask A Question' button is in the top right. Thank you!

I suggest cleaning the fan first. If that doesn't help check the BIOS setting for the max. shutdown temperature it maybe set to something very low.

Aibek

3. Phil

I had the same problem with my laptop. I removed the base cover of the laptop,(check you have undone all the screws ) and unscrewed the fan which was full of dust etc. After putting everything back together I had no more problem.Worth a try if you are confident.By the way Ialso invested in a cooler fan which runs off of a usb port and clips onto the exhaust port of your fan.My computer runs cooler,and a lot faster.Hope this helps.

Hi George,

I second Steve here. There are times when you just have to admit that the only way to fix something is to let the expert do their job. I think this is one of the times. The best suggestion that I can give is pick up the phone and call the technician.

5. Zara

It sounds like you could have a problem with your motherboard or CPU, which would cause your computer to overheat or not boot properly.

6. Steve Campbell

George,

If you do get it to boot, I would recommend downloading a program that tells you what your temperature and fan speed is so you can see if that is in fact a problem.

It sounds like you could have a problem with your motherboard or CPU, which would cause your computer to overheat or not boot properly. I'm not sure there's much you can do aside from having a hardware repair-person take a look at it.

George,

normally the fan continues to run at high speed because the processor is too hot. My HP laptop also won't boot up when it's too hot and fan is running at full speed.

So if heat isn't the cause, the sensor may be defective. You could also try cleaning the fan to remove dust and particles that got stuck.

I've been using a laptop cooler to prevent peak temperatures. But it doesn't sound like heat is the root of your issue.