How do I stop my laptop from disconnecting from the internet?

tami December 17, 2011

My laptop continues to disconnect from the Internet frequently and randomly. Can anyone tell me what might be causing it?

which laptop you have and which Windows OS?

Hello, there are many things than can be causing this.  I think you need to be more specific.  Does it stop when you are doing something specific like downloading?  Does it happen even if you are not using your internet?  Have you tried resetting your modem and router?  Are the wireless drivers in your laptop up to date?  Have you checked if there is any firmware update for your router?  How many devices are connected to your network?  Do you have a cordless phone, microwave oven or even a wireless mouse interfering with your connection?  How far away are you from the router?, etc.  There are many more specifics you could add to your question so that we can provide a better answer.

Also there is also the possibility that your wireless card in your laptop is configure to enter sleep mode every certain amout of time when idle.

Tami,

This can be difficult to diagnose. Are you using wireless? What is your routers make and model? Do you have any devices which may interefere with your network? Are you using resource intensive applications, such as bit torrent clients when this occurs?Firstly, go to PingTest.net and take the test, then post your results here. My guess is that your connection has a lot of jitter or interference. 

- Jeff

Try using another other computer, if the same thing happens , may be  there is not anything wrong with the laptop, it's the connectivity.

It used to happen to me also when my Router was losing connectivity  because of these reasons.
    1. when my broadband service was providing poor c
    2. I had to replace the router and new one worked.

if your have your broadband based on a land-line phone, the way you connect your router also can make a difference.

This is my personal experience.

• kevin

My laptop is losing its wireless connection every time I try to upload an attachment.

It doesn't matter if I'm trying to send it through Thunderbird or webmail.

Any thoughts?