How can I stop Firefox from not responding all the time?
Question by Ayrie /

How to stop my Firefox from “(Not Responding)” every 2 minutes?

• Jakebe2

I have had this problem on two computers running Firefox.  I finally discovered that Carbonite Online Backup was what was causing my problem.  My computers had AMD 4 core processors and I have 8GB of memory but for whatever reason Carbonite would bring it to a crawl at times. I can pause Carbonite and the problem goes away.  Turn it back on and I’m at a crawl again.  Just thought I’d post this in case anyone else has Carbonite running.

• Pittsy2004

I had this same issue and solved it. The problem was a registry error. Follow the instructions below to resolve it.

Go to ‘Run’ and open ‘cmd’
    • Type ‘netsh’ in command console then press enter
    • Then type ‘winsock’ and press enter and then type reset
    • Restart Your PC

• Problem Is Solved :)

Thank you for sharing your solution, Pittsy!

• Petes

I’ll give it a try as soon as I get my computer repaired.

It’s been 5 months since my first reply so go figure how frustraing this is. Other theory I have is that sync may be the one with the problem since I have hundreds of bookmarks, we’ll see.

• RHG

Thank you Tina, I tried your sync solution and it worked. I don’t know what was the problem in my case, I didn’t have any add-ons and my java, flash, etc were all updated.

Thanks for your feedback! Glad one of the solutions suggested above worked for you.

• Neil

firefox has too much problems but the addons are great

Thanks for your input, A D M!

Meanwhile, I wrote an article on How To Downgrade Firefox Or Internet Explorer To A Previous Version. This may be helpful to anyone who is looking to return to a stable (for them) version. Thanks for the tip regarding the security vulnerabilities in Firefox 4!

I’m having the same problem but with firefox 5. in Windows 7. Using NOD32 antivirus, and plenty of resources – 2gb ram, plus 2 more gb readyboost and a 1.6ghz celeron mobile and. I have the current versions of flash, java, quicktime and all windows updates and updated drivers for my hardware. Buying a new laptop is not an option, and that’d be silly -much easier to downgrade to firefox 4 where the “not responding” problem did not occur, or use any one of several faster and more reliable browsers. I can’t figure out what is causing this. It can occur with one tab open, or several (but rarely more than 5 or 6 tabs). It occurs when I’m wired, and when I am using wifi (at home – I don’t use public hotspots). There seems to be no common denominator except – firefox 5.

Try to restart Firefox with Add-ons disabled (> Firefox > Help > …) or create a new profile and see whether the issue disappears. If it does, you know one of your add-ons causes the problem. If it doesn’t switch to another browser.

• Petes

I have one solution (kind of), just update your graphics card drivers, that helped a lot (Nvidia 8600M GS). I wouldn’t blame add-ons, they are always the easiest thing to blame but the bug is within FF or the driver. I’m sure many people have this problem. I guess that older computers have this problem?

• Petes

Now my 3.6.18 is acting similar to FF4 after the last couple updates I get the (Not Responding) message once in a while but not as bad as FF4, so I guess they are copying code from FF4 into 3.6.

Maybe to give us a reason to update? That wouldn’t make any sense I know :(

This is so frustrating!!!

• Aaryas

I had the same problem and fixed it after removing McAfee SiteAdvisor from Add/Remove Programs. I hope this helps someone out there! =)

Thanks for the feedback, Aaryas. In most cases, trouble with Firefox is indeed caused by add-ons. 

But as you see in the example of Binyda above, who still has issues when running Firefox using a virgin profile, there are exceptions.

And I must say that McAfee SiteAdvisor is not worth a dime, nor time.

• Wunderkind

Most of the above issues are caused by a “profile” file error.
      Google it…

• Binyda

i just installed windows 7 did some restart (till it updated all the driver and hotfixes) installed firefox 4(no addons no bookmarks) and still if i try to open 2/3 tabs fast via typing the website adres it hangs and shows not responding for 4/5 seconds
    i just formated my PC cos i had the same issue with older windows 7 (i thought it was the OS or too much addons/bookmarks)
    CPU intel e2160 1.8 OC to 2.0 4gb ram 1tb (system)+250gb+160gb+160gb

you seriously took drastic measures just to fix an issue with Firefox! Maybe Firefox is simply not made for you. Why don’t you just switch browsers. I would recommend Chrome, but you can also try Opera. Now if you can help it, please don’t burden yourself with Internet Explorer!