How do I stop file search results from closing in Windows 8.1?

Tara October 14, 2014

I have a problem with the search service in Windows 8.1:

When I search a folder (including its subfolders), it shows the results for a few seconds, but then closes automatically. I’m not able to study the search results or open the files.

I didn’t have this issue 2 days ago when I had preformed my last search; I just woke up today and wasn’t able to search anymore!

Please help me fix this problem, since a good part of my work depends on being able to look back at parts of various documents.

Note: The search is performed correctly and it gives me accurate results (judging by the few seconds I’m able to view them!) but it just won’t remain open.

1. Tara

Thanks a lot!!!
    Your suggestion worked and I can search again with ease. You've saved my life!
    I have Kaspersky Internet security and I thought it would provide adequate security, do I need an antilogger?
    Thank you again so much.

1) open charm bar
    2) type: Find and fix problems with Windows Search

if you have created windows restore point use that to revert just before the search problem

• Tara

Thank you very much for your comment, I tried it and even did the "troubleshooting as administrator", but unfortunately it couldn't identify the problem. I do not have a Windows restore point; however I tried the "refresh without affecting files" option but it said "insert media" followed by "Some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files". I don't have access to installation media. Thanks again for your help.

okay you can create that cd from another windows 8.1 pc
      http://www.technorms.com/37874/how-to-download-the-windows-8-1-iso

1) open cmd with administrative rights
      2) Type: sfc /scannow and hit enter, wait for scan to finish
      3) type: CHKDSK /R and hit enter wait scan to finish
      4) reboot

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/AppsDiagnostic.diagcab

did you install any software like antilogger?