How can I stop eMail spam?

niet June 24, 2010

Please tell me how to stop my eMail address from being used to sell things. I don’t want to create a new eMail account and I don’t want my employers or colleagues and friends for that matter receiving spam from my eMail address.

1. Mark Harrison

First Run Anti Virus, Spyware, etc and do it in Safe Mode. Then change your password. Some nefarious software will steal your passwords in addition to hijacking Outlook. Do what you can to remove that ability first.

First of all, change your password. I have someone on my contact lists who keeps sending me spam all the time.

The other possibility is that someone is spoofing your email address. View the email headers and see if the emails are coming from some other place.

• rachelle

If someone is spoofing my hotmail address, how to I make it stop?

• Jack Cola

As for that question, I don't know. I don't think it's possible until you find out who is doing it or you find out what server is sending you those emails and ask the web hosting company to ban that account.

If you get the originating IP address or the server name, it will be relatively easy to find out who owns it.

• 19kimi87

somebody is sending emails FROM my email address, I'm not getting a copy of it as they are being sent as though they are FROM me. They are not in my sent folder. Is there a way for me to be able to stop this? (I'm on a mac)

Kimi,

this is a very old question. For people to actually see your question and to get help, I suggest that you ask a new question.

• Jack Cola

They're probably just using your email address and spoofing emails. Check the original source of the email, to see if it comes from you. Mostly likely they want.

If you haven't changed your password for a while, I would also recommend that you do that.

Jack

3. Taty

Agree with Tina. checking for viruses, especially if you are using outlook. Next, change your password often and see if that helps, but more information would be helpful.

Niet,

if I understand you right, your eMail was hijacked and spam is being sent to all of your contacts, looking like these eMails were sent by you.

Can you please provide us with some more information? What type of eMail account do you have, who is your provider? Do you use a program like Outlook or do you manage your eMails online?

There are several different scenarios here depending on your setup, but first and foremost, you should make sure your computer is not infected with a virus or malware. Check out this post for antivirus and anti-spyware software recommendations:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/free-antivirus-antispyware-software/

In addition, make sure your operating system is up to date.