Why is steam coming out of my printer?

m May 27, 2011

I got a new HP LaserJet M1132 MFP all-in-one printer last week. Today I used it to print an 18 page document and noticed steam coming out from where the paper comes out. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?
Thanks for the help!

Check your paper stock.  If the paper is not designed for laser printers, steam is a common result since the water content of the stock is too high.  To fuse the toner to the paper requires that the fuser reach a temperature of approximately 350 degrees which will result in instant steam on high water content paper.

Hello, this can happen when there is water/dampness remaining on the paper.  Also, sometimes the design on the printer is cheap and lacks a fan.  Dampness which remains  in the paper turns into steam when it gets fused
    out.  If it is smoke being released, it can have different colours.   If the the smoke is white, it usually  means that it is water. It should not be black
    or dark grey. You can actually feel that if you hold your hand above it
    that it gets moist as if you are catching steam.

Usually there is nothing wrong with the printer, but if it is a new printer send it back and get a new unit or get a unit with a fan on it.

3. Jonathan Mould

Laser jet printers use heat to fuse the ink onto the page so there is probably a problem with wherever the heating happens. My advice would be to take the printer back to where you bought it and get a new one; a week-old printer puffing out steam is not good ;)