How can I startup and shutdown automatically in Windows 7?

Mustafa January 6, 2011

I have a broadband plan which gives me free download during the night, but I hate get up in the middle of the night to start the computer. Is there any software or utilites in Windows which allow to start the PC automatically on the sheduled time and start the download managers? Right now I am using ‘Airytec Switch Off’. It’s a light software but does not have options to start.

1. mustafa

Hi everyone ,

thanks for the response to my query ,your suggestions really helped me .I am using the "Auto Poweron & Shutdown " software , definitely worth a try.

Didi you try the apps recommended above? Let us know if you need any further assistance.

There are apps that I've seen on SourceForge (it's simply called Timer - ) where it can wake from being turned off, but from what I recall it requires BIOS tweaks that I was a bit too hesitant to start playing around with. It's DOS based and runs in DOSBox at least when you're configuring it. I'm not very familiar with it or others like it, but from what I understand BIOS tweaks are most likely required in every case.

You might also take a look at Wake-on-LAN as well:

Good luck!

Auto Poweron & Shutdown allows you to wake up your computer from sleep mode (s3 standby) at specified time.

video: How To Automatically Start Your Computer

Make Windows Sleep and Wake Automatically
    Click the Windows button (or "Start" for Windows XP) and click "Control Panel." Click "Hardware and Sound" (or "Performance and Maintenance" for Windows XP) and click "Power Options."

Select the "Energy Star" power scheme, which puts your computer into sleep mode when you don't use it. Click "OK."

Follow the steps for your particular version of Windows to create a scheduled task. Rather than selecting "shutdown" as your task, select an application that you commonly use. Select the time when you want Windows to start up, rather than shut down.

Click the "Conditions" tab (for Windows Vista and Windows 7) before finalizing your task and check the "Wake the computer to run this task" checkbox.