Why can I not start the Speech Recognition in Windows 7?
Question by Stivinn Aura /

I have always wanted to dictate the computer to do tasks, and Windows 7 takes it one step closer to reality with its innate Speech Recognition software.

The trouble is, while I can take the tutorial and set up the microphone without any hassles under the Speech Recognition option in Control Panel, the Speech Recognition just wouldn’t start, giving this error:

“Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported. The recognizer language must match the language of the user interface. Please change the recognizer language in the Speech Recognition control panel under Advanced Options.”

I googled the problem, and read about its solution across many forums, even in Microsoft’s and the most prominent solution went like how one changes his system locale and reverts it back after a reboot. Unfortunately, that didn’t work for me. I tried changing my language and location to English (UK) and back to English (US) everywhere I could, but that didn’t do the trick either.

I’m running a Windows 7 Ultimate on an Intel Dual-Core 2.0Ghz / 1GB DDR2 / nVidia GeForce 7050/nForce 610i mainboard. Everything’s working fine and the system is very much fast & stable.

Anything definite is most welcome.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Gilbertpremo

Does the Registry hack require the quote signs before and after the text? Or was that a way of setting off the text in your post.

Glad that the registry hack worked for you.

CTFMON, process is linked to Microsoft Office; indeed this process allows the biometrics management; speech writing, manual entry via a graphical palette or Tablet PC, specific interaction with the keyboard.

And Yes You said thank you

• Stivinn Aura

> I’d already tried the latter three procedures (excluding repair-install, of course) when i first read them off a Windows forum. None of them worked.

> Thank You for posting the registry edit hack as well. It did the trick!!!

> Thanks!

> Thank you!

> For those of you who face the same problem may:-
    1. Type “regedit” in the Start Menu search field and launch the Registry Editor; and
    2. Follow the registry edit procedure as mentioned by ha14.

> Thanks a lot, ha14!

> Did i say thank you? :)

go to computerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun

right click the right pane and a “new string value” value name can be default, value data should be set to “ctfmon”=”CTFMON.EXE”

After that reboot my machine and language bar will come to the taskbar. then go to applications and change language back to yours. See if Long gone speech recognition will be back at the top center of the screen.

try to configure Speech Recognition using your settings:
    Formats: German (Austria)
    Location: Austria
    Language for non-Unicode programs: German

Installed keyboard layouts:
    German (Austria)
    Korean (Korean)
    English (US)

change your location under control pannel> regional settings > location and reboot

One fix I saw was:
    1. Open Control Panel then Speech Recognition Options.
    2. In the upper right of the Speech Recognition Option window click Advanced
    Speech Options.
    3. Remove the checkmark next to, “Allow computer to review your documents
    4. Click Apply

If the above does not work, go back to Speech Recognition Options and click
    Train Profile and see if you are able to Train. Failing that, click the New
    button and try creating a new User Profile with a new name. If that works,
    you will be able to delete your first profile.

Try repair instal

• Stivinn Aura

I’m sure this has nothing to do with the problem, but it might as well be added:
    The microphone i’m using is one built-into a USB webcam (the noise cancellation isn’t great, but since i use the mic in a quiet room, it solves the purpose easily).

The mic & webcam underwent a successful installation without the use of any external drivers, and there are no issues with their functionality whatsoever. Despite all, this error just won’t go away!