Where do I start with setting up a new computer?

Kareena November 25, 2010

I just received my new desktop AND my new laptop. I am sitting here staring at the boxes with no idea what to do first. Help me please. Thank you in advance.

Kareena,

don't despair, setting up a computer may seem like a huge challenge, and if you're doing it for the first time it definitely is. But you'll see that in fact it is pretty straight forward and no mystery.

If you're feeling overwhelmed, start with the laptop, as it's only one box. Put the other boxes aside and get comfy. Open the laptop box and spread out the contents in front of you. If you find a manual or CDs, hold on to them and see if the paper manuals contain setup instructions. If they do, follow them. Otherwise read on.

You should find the laptop, the battery, a power supply and cables, and maybe some CDs. Be happy if you find more. :) Remove all the packaging. Then insert the battery into the laptop. It won't be charged, so to get power and charge it, you need to connect the power supply. First connect the cable that goes into your wall socket, then connect it to the power adapter that connects to your laptop. Finally, connect the power to your laptop.

Turn on your laptop and wait for the instructions on the screen. Most likely, the laptop came with an operating system pre-installed. In this case the setup will be very simple.

Remember that you cannot break anything as long as you don't apply brute force.

Let us know if you get stuck anywhere.