How and where shall I start with learning web design?

Craig May 10, 2010

I have an understanding for all programming parts of web creation. However, I just cannot make a website look nice or set it up to be useful (HCI). I am looking for some recommendations on web design or getting started in Photoshop?

1. Lalit

Hi All
    I learnt mine at: http://www.w3schools.com/
    great teachers.Happy desiging.

Why not team up with a graphics designer and trade programming skills for design skills, that way you both play to your strengths. With the best will in the world we can't all be experts at everything and you don't want to compromise some fabulous technical development with "learners" level graphics.

If you are really serious about learning each aspect of web design, I would like to recommend "The Smashing Book" by the Smashing Magazine. But I personally think it's a bit hard for newbies.

And as for the design itself, I think you should try to build your design vocabularies by visiting beautifully designed sites and try to understand / analize what makes those sites beautiful (layout, color, font, proportion, the certain combination of those elements, etc). It's an abstract concept, I know, but it works.

The first step would be doing a search on these strings: website, design, top, beautiful; and start browsing.

hey there!! you can check out this forum http://morphsshed.com it has everyuthing you need to start a nice looking, well coded website! it support everything u need!

5. Taty

Hi Craig. Being a web designer, I can certainly understand the frustration. It is one of the hardest parts of web creation.
    If you've never studied any graphic art before, try getting some basic graphic design books so you can learn about color, composition and typography.. Also, look at some sites you like and try to understand what made you attracted to them to begin with, and try to use some of those aspects on your designs. even copying them as an exercise is a good way to learn ( don't, and I repeat, don't, copy and publish someone else's design) It's the equivalent to stealing someone's book and reprinting it with your name. Good luck !

6. MADinMelbourne

DRUPAL - I don't have any experience with code and I'm building a site with drupal and loving the way site building is explained - it makes complete sense, so much sense in fact that I'm now keen to learn code so that I can go crazy with design. The Drupal community is one of the greatest assets, people are keen to pass on information, help out and are newbie friendly. Oh, and the sites created with Drupal are leading edge too.

7. Steve Campbell

I'm a huge fan of the wordpress platform. If you were to get a solid theme like Thesis you can simply use your HTML and CSS skills along with the built in options to get the site looking just the way you want. It doesn't necessarily have to be a blog either.

8. Saikat Basu

Craig,
    You already have the hard part covered i.e. programming. Now, it's just HTML+CSS that's left to learn.
    I would suggest you start small, by learning how simple sites are constructed using just CSS and HTML. Graphics is a vast area, so you can leave that for later. There are many sources where you can download templates with ready made banners and basic images. So, it's learning the HTML code you should concentrate on.

Hi Craig,

designing a website is a complicated process, but you can split it up in simple steps.

I'm not a web designer myself, so I better not give you detailed instructions. However, I have created a few nice designs myself based on free WordPress templates. So I learned it backwards, first understanding the present code, then creating my own design, then integrating it into the template and tweaking the existing code to work with my design.

I hope someone can give you straight forward advice. In the meantime, have a look at the answers to this question regarding Photoshop tutorials:
    Can you recommend good Photoshop tutorials?

You may also want to check out this article from Daniel:
    Top 5 Sites to Learn CSS Online

In case you're interested in CSS and WordPress, also review the answers to this question:
    Can you help me with CSS and my WordPress blog?

Good luck!