Why can I only start my laptop in safe mode? Do I have a virus?
Question by Norval Law /

I start Windows, enter password and my screen initially shows the desktop icons for approximately 10 seconds and then the screen goes white with a notice in the top right stating “Navigation to the webpage was cancelled”.

What does this mean? Do I have a virus?

• Amit Sinha

to open your computer in safe mode just turned it off and switched power button while its booting keep holding F8 button you will see an screen with option to boot in safe mode

• UD98

boot into safe mode with networking and use your AV

failing that use stuff such as: http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/overview.aspx?

Other than running an updated anti virus I would try booting normal and after signing in at the white screen press ALT+F4 (close active application/window) and if that doesn’t work CTRL + ALT + DEL (Task Manager) and close whatever application is running (only) in the application tab.

Sorry ~ this is of course just to see if Windows is working normally and it’s some automatic startup item causing your problem.

For further troubleshooting you should report which application was listed/running in Task Manager.

• Dylan Brendan

Boot in Safe Mode with networking and scan your computer with an Anti- Virus. You can also download a hard drive test from the hard drive manufacturer’s website to view the health of your hard drive.

• Janeesh VJ

please try booting into “Safe Mode with Networking”, and downloading Malware Bytes from here: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol;1

• Muhammad Ahmad

Reboot the pc in safe mode with networking. Press R while pressing winodws log button on keyboard. Or simply go to start menu and type RUN and than in RUN type MSCONFIG click on General tab and uncheck Load Startup Items and than go to Services and Check Hide all Microsoft Services and than uncheck the services. Click apply and than click on OK. Than restart the pc. I hope this will resolve the problem. Otherwise you should consider System Restore option.

Something that is configured to run at startup is firing up a web brower in full-screen mode and something else (most likely AV software) is cancelling the navigation operation. Pressing Alt-Enter should bring it back into windowed mode. Pressing Ctrl-F4 while that application has the focus should close it. Pressing Alt-Tabl should still allow you to switch to other programs (or the desktop).If you don’t already have Malwarebytes installed, install it at this point and make sure the definition file is up-to-date. Reboot the machine in Safe Mode and run a full scan with your AV software, and follow it up with a full scan with Malwarebytes. Remove all of the crap they detect, then restart your computer normally to see if the issue still exists.