What is the best way to start a blog?

Tiffany October 30, 2011

I want to start a blog. Have done lots of research. Still totally lost! Can you point me somewhere that will help?

Well Mr Flat Bloke, I'm afraid that owning your own little piece of the internet, if you want to be successful, means you are goign to have to learn about domains, and afford your own web hosting. There's no way around that, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. You can bet their 'blogs' get less than 5 hits a day on blogger or wordpress.com. 

By all means, test the waters on a free blog, but as I repeatedly state in the guide, you will run into problems later if you get popular - by which I mean, you could possibly lose all your traffic when later trasnferring to your own domain and servers.  

Perhaps I could point you to my latest and greatest guide: http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/set-up-your-blog-with-wordpress-the-ultimate-guide

Stay away from blogger if you want something professional looking that might actually be popular one day. 

3. Tiffanybarnhouse

Thanks for the response guys, I have a subject. It's the setup/design I don't get. I have found some good templates but importing them to blogger is beyond me. It sounds easy, like it should just take a click or two but I am really missing something!

• Jeff Fabish

Hi Tiffany,

What form are the templates in? Typically, a template will be in an HTML or text file. If you have something similar, open it up in notepad and copy all of the lines in the file. Then go to your blogger settings and chose "template", then in the textbox replace your previous template with the new one, by selecting all the text in the box and pasting the new source.

You may want to backup your previous template incase the template doesn't publish how you want it to. To do so, copy the lines in the template tab and paste them in a textfile, then save it.

Once you've finished, press "publish". 

this site has the faq list about applying a template, and also provides templates.

What exactly do you need help with? Setup? Concept? Design?

Start with selecting a subject.
    First of all you will have to be clear about your blog, create a blog on a subject that you are passionate about, something you can talk and write without getting tired endlessly, everyday.

tell your friends to read the blog (share link on twitter n facebook), if they will like it. you will start getting larger audience/visitors.