How do I stabilize Internet on a wired PC?

Walt February 12, 2015

How do I stabilize Internet on a wired PC? My goal is to get continuous access to the Internet without interruption.

I have a cable modem connected to a D-Link Router. My desktop computer is hardwired to the router. After ½ hour I lose my connection to the Internet.

I can reboot and then have an internet connect for a half hour. WiFi continues to work normally.

Chrome reports an error message: DNS look up failed. Error Code DNS_Probe_Finishedsd_NXDOMAIN
Cisco System’s Network Magic shows the Internet as working.

Windows Network and Sharing shows a network map with Internet connected.

The Local Area Network Connection status shows IPv4 connected to the internet and IPv6 as not connected to the internet.

1. carson

first power on the cable modem, wait until its established a connection with the isp (you can tell this when the send & receive lights flash and the box is fully powered up (1 minuet waiting time)
    then power up the router & wait until its lights stabilize, then power up the computer
    don't turn routers or cable modems off at the wall when leaving the pc (routers have battery that keeps the settings & it'll die if its powerd down all the time)

2. Walt

I fixed the problem. I have AOL on the computer. It had an error message which said to re-install AOL. AOL was working fine so I put it off. The internet came back full time after I re-installed AOL.

• DalSan M

Thanks for letting us know the cause and the fix. This will help others that may have similar issues that you had.

3. Jan F.

I would start by resetting the network stack of the effected system. Since you didn't mention the Windows version the computer is running you can find the solution for various versions at the following link.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

If that didn't solve the problem identify the network adapters make and model and try manually updating the drivers. While the proper and tested driver is usually installed automatically by Windows or via Windows Update there are (very) rare cases where it may cause issues. I once had to revert from the Windows update driver myself!
    The easiest way to identify the adapter and get the driver is probably by using a tool like HWiNFO.
    http://www.hwinfo.com/

Usually the driver is an installer package which will do the job. Otherwise you can find the explanation on how to update the driver at the following page.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/update-drivers-windows-7.htm

For all posters, how do you explain the fact that wireless is still working through the router and only the wired connection fails? Most of the proposed solutions are for problems that would drop EVERYTHING from the network, not just the wired connection. Buggy router firmware is the only thing suggested above that could possibly affect only the wired connection while leaving the wireless unscathed.

OP, what is the model number of the router?

right, can be defective Cable/DSL modem, maybe something to do with power plan

• Bruce E

Again, Cable/DSL modem would drop it all. Power plan on the machine is a possibility.

• Oron

Bruce, it's pretty obvious that it's it's a problem in the router (or in the wired switch) rather than an ISP issue or ethernet cable fault. It could also theoretically be a problem on the PC relating to the binding to the wired network adapter, but this seems rather far fetched.
      However, I can't see how we can tell at this stage whether it's a firmware fault or a unusual hardware fault, such as a thermal issue or or power problem.

perhaps to try with another router, if the problem repeats
      maybe the solution mentioned here can help?
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/cant-communicate-with-primary-dns-server/9043f785-2f4e-4cc1-adf5-6ba5ca413749

5. Oron

There are several possibilities why DNS would be failing, and buggy router firmware, as implied by HQI's answer is one of them. I would suggest you change your PC's DNS settings to use the OpenDNS servers, which would ignore the router's settings. To do this:

Enter your network adapter's settings (details vary between versions of Windows. In Vista/Windows 7 you will find the option in the Network and Sharing Center).
    Click on [Properties]
    Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click [Properties]
    In the bottom half of the window, choose "Use the following DNS server addresses:"
    Enter the following addresses:
    Preffered DNS server: 208.67.222.222
    Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220

Now Click [OK], [Close] and [Close] again to return to the main screen and see if your connection runs reliably.

6. HQI

Based on the information you provided I will suggest you perform the following task to ensure u have a stable internet connection 24/7.
    1. Ensure all network drivers are installed and fully updated.
    2. Configure you network cared to receive dynamic IP address. (Some ppl have theres configured to use a static private IP address for now I recommended you don't do this).
    3. If DDWRT is available for your router I highly recommend u flash your router and install DDWRT. From my experience stock firmware lacks features and is not as stable and reliable as DDWRT. Once you get DDWRT flased it should have an option to automically reboot whenever it isen't receiving connection to Google. Do configure this. Also ensure you have a strong WiFi password WPA2 personal protocal and u changed your username and password to enter the router settings.
    4. Now if you wish you may configure your network card to use a private static IP address.
    5. Also configure your webbrowser to automically detect network setting and not connect to any proxy.
    These steps worked for me, I do hope they work just as well for you.

which version of windows do you have?
    Open device manager, do you see any yellow sign near Network Adapter

• Walt

The OS is Win 7

is your IP static or dynamic?

open cmd with administrative rights
      type: route print?
      check if something is wrong there
      also uninstall your current antivirus and check if the problem goes away!

also try running Windows in "Safe Mode With Networking" and see if the problem continues to occur.

try to update your graphic card driver