What SSD would be best for my MacBook Pro?

Ahmad October 24, 2011

I have a MacBook Pro (model 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15-inch DDR3) MB471LL/A Late-2008) and I know from your guide about buying an SSD that there are two types of SSD’s – MLC & SLC.  So the question is: which type is better for my MacBook, and what capacity should I be considering for it? Also, is there a specific brand that I should be looking at?

1. Dav532000

I am afraid that if you are trying to upgrade this Mac then there is only one option open. As it is from 2008 the specs state that it is a Sata 320GB HDD, so a Sata III is a waste of time as it will only run at the speed of the Sata controller in the Macbook. You need a Sata II which is backward with Sata for your Macbook, not quite sure just what speeds you will get from Sata as this is slower that Sata II, but don't waste your money shelling out for Sata III, you are looking for something like a 200GB Sata II SSD. Remember that you will have to put the OS back on the SSD so make sure you have it before you swap drives.

Hello, in your case I would say that the Apple SSD would be the best choice compatibility wise.  I have two 120 GBs OCZ Agility 2, running in two different computers and they are great.  Of course they are not MACs, but if you believe the scores, they have a 7.9.  They are compatible with Mac and they have the native trim (garbage collection)function.  I hear tell that Mac does not support Trim for other brands, only for apple SSDs.  Of course for trim to work both, the operating system and the drive have to support it.  The following is a link showing you the specs for the Agility 2.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-agility-2-sata-ii-2-5-ssd.html

Sata II and the newer sata III are compatible with your MacBook pro.  Of course sata 3 would be better, but it is a little bit pricier.  The following link will show you SSDs compatible with Mac:

http://www.ssd-for-mac.com/

With regards to storage size, that is way I have 120 GB drives.  There is enough room for the operating system, updates, and some of the applications that require a fast drive.  The rest is stored in other regular sata drives.  If you can afford it, get at least a 240 GB drive and make sure to us it mostly for the operating system. 

To have a better understanding of the differences between MLC and SLC, read the content of the following link.  It explains better than I ever could:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ssd-value-performance,review-1455-5.html

• Ahmed

Thank you very much this is very helpful I think you simplified the decision

Hello, I am glad we were able to help you out with your decisition.  If you have any more questions, you know where to ask.

If you read about the differences of MLC and SLC NAND memory you should be able to make the choice yourself. SLC NAND are faster and feature higher endurance but come at a prize - they are considered enterprise storage. If you look at the market you will see that majority of the [consumer grade] drives are MLC.

As for the capacity I suggest you do a right-click > Information (cmd + i) on your Macintosh HD to see how much space you are currently using. Solid State Drives perform better they more free space is left so if you already use e.g. 100GB you should probably get a drive around (or above) 200GB for your MBP.

The most important points are:
    Your MacBook Pro supports drives up 9.6mm height.
    You should have at least Mac OS X 10.6.7 installed when using an SSD.
    If you buy a non-Apple branded SSD you may want to use TRIM Enabler

As for suggestion I would currently go with the "Crucial m4". Other good choices are the OCZ Vertex 3, OCZ Agility 3 or the Crucial RealSSD C300. OWC (Other World Computing) are also said to have very good SSDs but I don't have any experience with any of their products.

• Ahmed

I think the Reading is not enough to deside what I need but as long as it is possible to ask some people who may answer me from experience, why not to do it. You are the people who talk from experience and I really appreciate that as well as I would not conclude to the points that you mentioned here.