Which SSD is better and lasts longer: Samsung SSD S830 or Kingston SSD Now HyperX 3K?

fenekus fen October 19, 2012

SSD SATA3 128GB Samsung 830 Series 520/320MB/s, MZ-7PC128B/WW

KINGSTON SSDNow 120GB, 2.5″, SATA III, HyperX 3K – SH103S3/120G

1. SoftwareDemons

Kingston is what i recommend

2. Douglas Mutay

Compare Samsung to Kingston, I will go for the leader on that kind of hardware: Kingston off course, but Intel SSD are also good choice.

3. fenekus fen

Thanks, Kingston leads for now.
    I'll will investigate a little more; at the end, maybe Intel SSD120GB (2.5", SATA III, MLC, 330 series - SSDSC2CT120A3K5) is the best?

4. Declan Lopez

the kingston

5. Jan Fritsch

One would have to see a real world comparison to determine which one really lasts longer.

Personally I went with a Samsung 830 myself. They are quiet good in benchmarks and with Samsung producing both, the memory chips and the SSD controller I believe they as reliable as it gets.

6. Jesse Manalansan

Kingston all the way :)

7. Dino Pearsons

I can't recommend Kingston SSDs enough. We use a lot of SSD drives at work and Samsung ones caused a lot more trouble than Kingston ones.

In fact, we never had a failure (so far) on a Kingston, which is probably a lot of dumb luck but still, I recommend going for Kingston.

The answer depends on how you treat the SSD, how often you Start/Shutdown your PC, if you shall defrag it or not, (Yes, it makes a difference to the different brand names) etc etc etc.

• Alex Perkins

Oh cool, I didn't know that, thanks Alan ;-)

9. Dave

Best SSD drive I have come across is the Cucial M4 256GB SATA 3, it's reasonable price and comes with excellent support (if required). As Crucial did (and still do of course) make memory then this is a straight move for them as their memory modules were fantastic too.

10. Alex Perkins

I'd go with Kingston, they've been in memory longer that Samsung.

• Jan Fritsch

Kingston produces modules wherein Samsung also produces the actual memory chips. Kingston even uses a lot of Samsung chips in their products (both RAM and SSD) e.g. in their SSDNow V+.

SSDs eventually stop working after few years....TRUE???

• Kannon Y

That depends on who you ask. The basic features of the modern SSD, with wear leveling, automatic garbage collection and TRIM, hasn't been around long enough to fully substantiate that claim. Although what you say is true, all drives die in time, since flash memory can only be written to a certain number of times before wearing out. However, the moving parts of an HDD can only function before spindle failure occurs. In theory an SSD will last longer than an HDD.

In fact, some manufacturers do claim that SSDs can last a decade or longer, which beats down the longevity of platter based HDDs.

Two issues led to SSDs getting a really bad rep, in 2011: First, as controllers started saturating the SATA III bandwidth was the SF2000 Sandforce - and pretty much all drives with this controller (the majority of manufacturers in the market at this point used Sandforce) suffered from terrible reliability issues.

Second, OCZ, the largest SSD producer, had a number of manufacturing issues which led to mass returns. OCZ replaced the defective drives. And Sandforce helped push out a firmware fix for drives. Three of my Sandforce drives, since getting the firmware update, have performed perfectly afterward.

Of course, who knows what kind of problems we might see another year down the line. My best guess is that SSDs, once properly updated and maintained, can last at least longer than a platter based HDD.

SSD test: Samsung, Crucial, Plextor and Kingston race it out

Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSD Review: CrystalDiskMark

Kingston HyperX looks good, but a real test will be needed to mark them.

13. Saurabh Banwaskar

Go For :::::::Kingston SSD
    It's Better Than Samsung

14. Ronald Smith

Go with the HyperX 3K, it's faster, just as reliable and you can't go wrong with Kingston altogether. Samsung is a great brand too, but I'd go with the Kingston HyperX 3K out of the 2 of these.

15. Dimal Chandrasiri

I would recommend you the kingston... since they are more experienced in memory products.

Go by the length of the warranty.