Can I use only SSD in a desktop by removing my old HDD?

Chalu Chokra October 21, 2012

Can I use only SSD in a desktop by removing my old HDD? Please help.

1. Abba Jee

sure , you can , you will see the difference of performance as well :)

2. Adam Campbell

ssd's are incredibly fast, but you will need to prepare for when they fail.

3. Jeremiah Iliffe

You can install the SSd to a separate bay if you have the space to .

If you're adding an SSD to a desktop, you're going to want to keep the desktop drive as a storage drive. I highly suggest using a backup solution to create a backup of the SSD drive - and use your old HDD as a storage drive to host the copy of the SSD.

There are also three simple tips that you're going to want to do before installing the drive. First, go into your BIOS (google BIOS plus the name of your computer) and set your storage type to AHCI from IDE. AHCI mode will make your drive faster and will reduce future issues. Do this just BEFORE you install the operating system on the SSD.

Second, Dino Pearsons is right about the adapter, although people have been known to just tape the drive to the inside of their cases. Or worse.

Third, make sure TRIM is working after installing the drive. Here's a guide on how to do that. This step isn't really needed. 90% of drives's TRIM works fine.

I keep track of SSD prices. They go on sale pretty often - for example, you can get an excellent 128GB Agility 4 for $75 after a $10 rebate. I always suggest around 120GB for the average user, as a boot drive. Most people seem to be fine with 120GB. The average user isn't bothered by that size.

5. Declan Lopez

yes you can, but make sure to backup your files. you can also use the ssd as the boot drive and the hdd to store all of your files, that will make your system faster and you will also have more storage

6. Dave Rimmer

Use the SSD as your boot drive to install Windows and the old HDD as a second drive to hold your other files ie Music, Pictures, Videos etc.

If using Windows 7,then the below article would be very helpful -

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

If you are bothered about the data in your HDD,then -

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

8. Dimal Chandrasiri

yeah! you CAN.. but the thing is, the SSDs cost alot when it comes to big storage amounts. if you can afford it, you are RICH... :)

• Chalu Chokra

thanks, but i am not too rich.. :)

9. Dino Pearsons

Yes, of course. Most of SSDs will require an adapter to be properly installed in a desktop computer, but also, plenty of them include the adapter when you buy them.

On a side note, it might be a good idea to keep the old HDD for backup as SSDs do fail at a certain point.

And cloning your existing OS installation onto the SSD is theoretically possible but not recommended due to the way SSDs organise data on your machine.

• Chalu Chokra

thanks, but can you also tell me then which dirve will be better for my desktop?? hdd or ssd?? i need better perfomance..

• Dino Pearsons

An SSD will get you much better performance than a regular hard drive. Quite frankly, the first time you start your computer running from an SSD, you won't believe how fast it is.

Unfortunately, that speed comes at a price. Two prices in fact. The first being, what you're actually paying for to get one, and the second being the need to backup your data regularly.

hdd=hard disk drive
        ssd=solid state drive

Hdd has been used for many years with rather minor improvements. The newly ssd offers much greater overall performance. Your motherboard should support SATA2 or 3 interface for the SSD since I don't think they make it with the old IDE interface too....
        If unsure, post your motherboard's model/make and people here will surely help you out.

Yes you can change your hard drive to a SSD. You will of course have to reinstall everything again but worth the effort for the extra performance.

• Chalu Chokra

thanks a lot.. i want to replace my old hdd with a ssd.. because i want a better perfomance on my desktop..