Why are my SSD boot times slow when mechanical drives are connected to the system?

James Benzer October 23, 2014

I have been looking for a reason that my boot slows down. I have a 256 GB SSD as my C drive. If I use just it, my PC boots really fast. But when I add my other HDDs, (Two 60 GB, one 250 GB, and one 3 TB) it slows to the speed I was getting with just the HDDs. Any ideas?

maybe you need too format them as logical hard drive and not primary hard drive. Also disconnect dvd drives

Connect all drives EXCEPT the one that used to be your primary drive and see if you still see a slow boot. If you don't, then your system is still using at least some of the content of the old mechanical drive during boot.

Some SATA controllers will downgrade the performance of some channels based on devices on other channels. I have seen a motherboard where if a 6G device is on channel 0 and another on channel 1 or there is none on channel 1, it will give 6G performance, but if a 3G device is on channel 1, both channel 0 & channel 1 will operate at 3G speeds.

• James Benzer

Thanks for your help. I found my problem by detaching my drives one at a time. It was my 250 GB drive. I have no idea why it is that particular drive but I tried swapping data cables and it did not matter. If it was attached my boot slowed to a crawl, If it was not attached windows booted before the logo was finished developing. The drive works fine except that it slows down my boot. I am going to run some disc repair utilities and try reformatting it. Thanks again for your help, and effort.

• Jan F.

I agree with Bruce. This would also be my suspicion.

Since we don't know where exactly your boot "slows down" make sure your SSD is selected as the first boot device within the BIOS/UEFI.

You might also want to check your motherboards manual about the SATA ports you are using. Some motherboards have an additional SATA controller to increase the amount of SATA ports available to the user.
      If you were to connect the drives to different controllers it could increase the boot time duo to the system waiting for the secondary controller to be initialized (although that should happen during the boot anyway).