Why does Spotify make my computer crash?

Diane Minton September 13, 2012

I had a system crash caused by a Facebook hacker 2 months ago. Since then I got Norton, but I am worried because my computer freezes with Spotify. I’m not sure if this is a problem from the hacker or just with Spotify? I use Chrome browser on Windows 7 as default.

1. Steven Epstein

I know that the new Java(current release is causing major problems in Chrome when certain applications start up and use java and chrome. Freezes like crazy.

2. Diane Minton

I would like to choose resolve action after I do the steps listed in your reply. I would like to say a big thank you, I am finishing my exercise routine after I do this. I have another weird thing happening..a little rectangle with a finger pointing...I have searched the internet trying to find out what it is, hopefully it will be gone after I do your instruct in a couple....Ii have three browsers now, last night I had a near Chrome Crash and closed out, with difficulty, then went to Mozilla and downloaded it. I am not sure which one of theese to make my default browser. I am going now to do your instructions about Chrome and adobe hoping to have a good result to report to you....Thank you very much, I am hoping for the best!!!!!

Besides security reasons,you will also need to check whether there is any increase in RAM or CPU usage after launching Spotify which can be done by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys on the keyboard.If your computer has low RAM,then it might be the reason of freezing.

1. Uninstall Spotify
    2. Uninstall Adobe Flash Player
    3. Reboot
    4. Reinstall Adobe Flash Player
    5. Reinstall Spotify

Check Spotify is listed in your firewall exception list

5. Erlis Dhima

Probably spotify gets blocked by norton.. Add Spotify to Norton whitelist, and check if the problem is still there!

• Diane Minton

Thank you Erlis for answering my question...I had a near Chrome Crash last night, I immediately Insttalled Mozilla, as a friend says she likes it, I have had numerous crashes, had to restore computer with tech. I am going to do the instructions you sent after I go walking around 10 CSTime...I am so happy to have someone who knows what to do,,,I have three browsers, Should I just make Internet Explorer the default and use Mozilla now, I will miss all the features of Chrome, but I am finally willing to do without it, Shoulc I uninstall Chrome after doing your instruct? If so I am hoping to hear from you, if now I will leave chrome on and not use it, I think Mozilla is safe, had lots of wild experiences with Chrome...leading to lots of stess....Thank you so very much for your expert help...Must get things done and will be back.....

If Chrome is so important to you and adding Spotify to whitelist solves your problem,then no need to switch browsers.

Moreover,Mozilla has sync feature and almost all features that Chrome has.