Can I split a HDMI signal to use on two displays?

Dixie Leonard September 4, 2012

I have a dual monitor setup on my PC; one monitor connected with DVI and the other HDMI.

I want to hook up my HDTV as well so I can stream video to it.

I purchased an HDMI splitter but when I use it, I get no HDMI video either on my monitor or TV.

As it stands, I have to disconnect my monitor and plug in the HDMI cable going to the TV.

In addition, the HDMI connection to the TV does not seem to carry audio. Is that because I purchased a standard HDMI cable (instead of the more costly ones that advertise they carry ethernet, etc) for that connection, or because my PC signal is not carrying audio (I have a year-old HP 64bit Windows 7 rig)?

1. Martin Bush

If you are looking to display the same image from HDMI source on multiple TVs or monitors you can use a HDMI Splitter. I have used KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Splitter solutions in the past with great success.

2. Charles S

If you want another option. Buy a video card with 2 hdmi outputs on your pc and run a mirror set up to your monitor and tv you would see your movies on both screens.

Or run vga or dvi to monitor and hdmi to tv with mirror set up and you will get a diplay on both.

You might know that and wanted a spitter to have the same effect. But I guess it did not work.

3. Rob Berry

This is something that comes up alot, And without indepth knowledge of computers its easy to get muddled up and confused,

It really isn't a good idea trying to split a HDMI signal coming from a computer to two sources, It just isn't designed to do that, The best thing you can do, Is upgrade your computers graphics card, This depends on a number of things such as how old your motherboard is, if you are using built in graphics or a dedicated graphics card, An easy way for you to tell is to turn your computer around and look at the back, On the left usually at the topish end of the computer you will have a strip of connections, If your HDMI & DVI cables are going in here, You are using the Onboard connections built into the motherboard, and what you simply need is a dedicated graphics card. If the ports are towards the bottom of the case on a small horizontal strip, then you are using the graphics card, and may require an upgrade in order to supply your monitors.

It also depends on the processor you are running, if you have a 1155 ( Sandybridge socket ) processor, then with a graphics card installed you can simply use the Lucid Logic drivers ( google search these ) that will allow you to use both the graphics card and onboard drivers,

Some more information on what you have in your computer would help alot,

Hopefully this helps too.

• Dixie Leonard

I have:
      ACPI x64-based PC
      NVIDIA GeForce GT 420
      Intel i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
      NVIDIA High Definition Audio

I have dual monitors; one connected with DVi and the other HDMI. There are no problems with this setup. However, I do not get sound through the HDMI connected monitor, only through the separate audio connection. All the drivers appear to be updated to most current.

What I want to do is hookup my HDTV so I can choose to stream video to that at times without disconnecting one of my monitors. It is tricky to get the settings just right again if I disconnect one of them.

I had been hoping to avoid installing an upgraded video card as I have had difficulties in the past (out of three attempts, one complete failure, one worked off and on and one worked pretty good).

My splitter is not powered; would a powered splitter be likely to accomplish what I want? If not, what do I need to look for in a video card?

thanks

I actually tried the same thing very recently, for the heck of it.

My setup involved almost the exact same components as yours - I'm fairly certain that the reason it didn't work is related to most splitters being unpowered, meaning they don't have any power source. Basically, when we split a signal, we're weakening it by dividing it in two. I think it's weakened to the point where it simply stops working.

Or do you have a power HDMI splitter?

To answer your second question, "Ethernet over HDMI" is a hardware specific feature that both devices must support and it's basically an internet sharing thing. Your cable doesn't require this to work.

The most likely reason you are not getting audio is that HDMI uses a different set of audio drivers - they're called high-definition audio drivers. I suggest updating your drivers in device manager. Here's a screen shot of the drivers you need to update (I believe the HDMI one, but do both to be safe).

Perform this by right clicking and picking "update drivers" and choose the automatic option.

However, if you can't find them by searching using the automatic search feature in device manager, try going to the HP's site and downloading them. Make sure you have your computer model number beforehand. If you have any problems, please don't hesitate to stop by and ask for help! Good luck!