How can I speed up my wireless internet?
Question by patotong /

How can I make my wireless internet browsing faster? Does the router affect speed?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Faixan Amjad

well it depends on the browser as well normally on IE u can’t judge about the speed wheteher it has increased or not
    i have tried this it was increased to a bit…

• Dpmvisa

Check your driver properties for throughput options/Policies. If you have a Notebook or Netbook you will often see battery life options that sacrifice performance. Unless you are running for extended periods on the battery, change to the higher performance options.

Check the Advanced Tab on the Driver and look at the options there, as well. I discovered that a new system I staged supported 802.11N mode. This has the potential of 100 – 300Mbps. Look for burst mode support and throughput enhancement options.

I enabled these three options and went from 54Mbps to 150Mbps on my Intel 4965AGN . Of course your router has to support these options for it to work. My Linksys E1000 does.

If you try N-mode performance you may have to change your Security to get it to go. I had to change my WPA2 form TKIP (the most common) to AES to get it to run. Not all adaptors support AES, though.

I also set my Advanced tab options transmit power to highest. Not sure this was needed but seemed like a good idea.

I stayed with channel 6, the default. I see where this can cause problems if you have other wireless devices like phones. Any channel from 1 – 11 can be used. Channel 11 seems to be recommended as an alternative. If you get drop out, try a different channel.

It is great to have three times the link speed for my cable connection.

Give some of these a try, if you configuration allows it.

• TQuizzle

If you have one of the many Wireless Routers that support the infamous DDWRT firmware, you could flash it with that. That firmware gives you the ability to boost the wireless signal from the router itself.

Check to see if your router is supported.