How can I speed up my Windows XP system?

Samuel Kamau July 25, 2011

I ran Windows XP on my desktop with Kirspasky 2011 as my anti-virus software.

The problem is, my computer has become extremely slow, such that my internet has become a nightmare. For example, I can’t get to some of the sites you have suggested I visit for information. The browser runs forever without loading!

Hello, kaspersky 2011 can be slow down your computer a lot.  It is one of the best antivirus available but the newer versions are suited mostly for computer with lots of RAM and a fast harddrive.  Have you tried uninstalling kasperski and trying something like:

http://www.avast.com/en-ca/index

It is worth a try, just to see if it makes a difference on your speed

• Sonny Bass

I also prefer Avast,but Microsoft Essentials is the lowest resource decent antivirus

2. Sonny Bass

If it it is an old computer I suggest you try Legacy OS 2. It will run quiet fast on as little as 500MHz processor 256MB ram. Probably won't run on anything newer than 2007. It is one of many Puppy derivatives.

Run Soluto and see what will say the report
    http://www.soluto.com/

right-click on your KIS system tray icon to open a dialog box for KIS. Choose "settings" by using a left-click. You'll then see all of the settings for each component

1) Try switching Web-Antivirus to Streaming Mode
    2) Set your Anti-Hacker Zone settings to Max-Speed Mode (also experiment with unchecking stealth mode)
    3) Disable Anti-Hacker
    4) Disable Web-Antivirus

http://www.soluto.com/

3) Disable Anti-Hacker
    4) Disable Web-Antivirus

• Samuel

Will i not expose myself to attacks if i disable Anti-Hacker and Web-Antivirus as you have suggested?

I forgot to say that i ran the same antivirus on two other computers of the same specification with the only difference being the size of the hard disk in the problematic computer being twice as big. Could the size be the problem or is it the type of harddisk?

All the same there was an improvement when i included the sites i need to visit in the safe group.

Thank you

Samuel

Size dont matter unless you are scanning the hard drive , bigger hard drive longer scan time.

The suggestion was a test to find out if those settings makes your pc faster, then you could manage to adjust settings.
        Apparently  a common issue for many Kaspersky users and it seems to correlate with the amount of RAM installed (and in use).

Add your application in the trusted zone

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282178

apparently there is a Hotfix which enables the Kaspersky "concede resources" option by default. This Kaspersky feature--which is enabled by Kaspersky's retail products by default--allows the operating system and other application processes to take priority when needed (without sacrificing real-time protection).Do not select concede resources to other applications unless your processor is
        less than 1.6 GHz
        download the latest Hotfixes (KAV 1.1 Hotfix 4109 - 4119), then re-apply the profile to the affected endpoints to ensure this value is set.
        There are 3 ways to verify the version of KAV you have:1 - System > Server Management > License Manager (on-prem VSA customers only)2 - Antivirus > Machines > [select a machine] > In the detail/inspector pane (on the right), the Version is prefixed by the KAV version (1.1.x.x = KAV 1.1)3 - Antivirus > Machines > [select the "version" columnset] > the "Service Version" is prefixed by the KAV version (1.1.x.x = KAV 1.1)

Connect to internet and run all applications you use
        including browsers, media players, office...  --> Make exclusion rules
        if KIS asks you about PDM detections during game play --> Reboot

Now disconnect from internet --> disable Self-Defense and exit KIS --> Go
        to “C:ProgramDataKaspersky LabAVP11BasesCache” and delete all files there
        --> Go to “C:ProgramDataKaspersky LabAVP11DataUpdater” and delete
        Temporary Files folder --> Run KIS, it will take less than 1 minute to
        recreate its cache (fresh and clean). Do not forget to enable Self-Defense
        again.

roll back to Kaspersky 2010! choose another antivirus

Samuel,

do you mean Kaspersky 2011?

• Samuel Kamau

Yes. Sorry about the mispelling