How can I speed up Windows Vista boot time?

Myke46 August 26, 2010

I am running Vista Basic on a COMPAQ Pressario CQ50-103NR Notebook. I have 4GB of RAM and still have 77 (out of 102) GB in my C-Drive. I need to know how to find out what, if any, processes I can disable at start-up. I have about 77 running at start-up. My boot times are at 5 minutes or longer.

Hi

Well the first way is to disable each ones that startup with your windows to find out which one takes a lot of time.

Second option use a delayer that means they will start after that you are on the windows desktop. Try chameleon startup manager

ANother solution as free go to Soluto download it and see what will propose
    http://www.soluto.com/

If you want to measure your boot time then use BootRacer
    http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/

2. Dpmvista

I gained some benefit on my Intel Celeron Duo with a couple of tricks.

Use msconfig and the boot tab to change the CPU count to 2 and enable the HAL option.

Use the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Settings -> Performance Settings and drill down to the Virtual Memory Change Tab. Increase the minimum and maximum values with a custom setting. I use 8,192MB for min and 16,384MB for max. Maybe a bit high per Microsoft on the max.

I added a 1TB external recently for scheduled backups, etc. I am going to try to experiment with it for paging files as well to see what improvements I can get.

• Myke46

Do you think this would work on AMD Athlon X2 64?

3. Josh Fox

I actually wrote an article about this on my blog a few weeks ago.

MSCONFIG is where I start. Open the Run dialog and type "msconfig" (without quotes) and press Enter. In the Startup tab, you can disable (uncheck) whatever is unnecessary. In a lot of cases, this could very well everything. If you have utilities that you use frequently, for instance, I use Launchy a lot, or an antivirus, you might want to leave that enabled. Most printer utilities can be disabled with no harmful effects.

In the Services tab, if you click the box at the bottom to hide all Microsoft services, a good bit of what's left can most likely be disabled safely. The only ones I left enabled are for my iPod. Again, antivirus services should probably be left unless you don't use it.

Once you set everything to your liking, click OK and the window will close and ask if you want to restart now or restart later. I would suggest restarting on the spot.

Next, I move to CCleaner. You can also adjust the startup applications here as well, but MSCONFIG does it in the same manner, plus it has options for services. Since the startup applications aren't needed here, it's just basic cleanup to help with overall performance, which never hurts. Use the Cleaner tab to select which applications and options you want to clean. If you use saved passwords or remembered logons in your browser(s) of choice, you might want to uncheck the options for saved passwords and cookies appropriately. Click Analyze, review what is being done, and click Clean. You can also choose to skip the Analyze part if you trust your selections.

On the Registry tab, you can clean all the junk that gets left behind when you uninstall programs, download files with odd names, or other possible problems. You simply select the options on the left side, which I always have them all selected, then click Scan for issues, wait for it to finish, then you can tell it to fix the selected issues. I have had extremely good results with this, so I have stopped even checking what it finds and automatically telling it to fix it. It will offer to create a backup of the registry anyway.

After CCleaner, I move to Defraggler, also available for free from Piriform, the creators of CCleaner. Simply start the program, click Analyze, and when it’s finished, it’ll let you know just how bad it is. You can choose to do a complete defrag or a quick defrag from the drop down from the Defrag button. From the Action menu, you can also choose to defrag just one folder or even a single file. There’s also the option to check the drive for errors in the Advanced section of the Action menu.

Defragging will take a rather long time, so if you use your computer a lot through the day and don't want to be interrupted, you might want to run it overnight while you sleep.

The startup applications and services are the only parts that directly effect the boot time, but cleaning and defragging is an overall boost, including startup most of the time from my experience.

• Myke46

Thank You for the info.Let me ask you this:Is it possible that Windows is running unnecessary processes at start-up?I was able to stop 3 (after hiding the Windows' entries)And I still have 70 running.

• Josh Fox

Yes, it's very possible that Windows is running services that aren't needed.Some lighter (and safer to disable) Microsoft services that might not be needed, and caveats.Diagnostic Policy Service: Notifies you if Windows thinks an application is incorrectly installed.Distributed Link Tracking Client: If disabled, you won't be able to access the file system of other computers on the network.IP Helper: Allows for IPv6, so it's not required if you don't use it.ReadyBoost: Slows down the system a little if you don't use the feature.Remote Access Connection Manager: Safe to disable if you don't use a VPNServer: Only needed if you have shared folders, printers, or other networked services hosted on your computer.Tablet PC Input Service: Only needed if you use the tablet pen and ink function.Windows Error Reporting Service: Only needed if you submit error reports to Microsoft.Windows Image Acquisition: This is used for Scanners and cameras. If you don't have/use them, it's not needed.Windows Time: If you don't synchronize with a time server, this isn't required.Some services that are a little heavier on resources. Should only be disabled if you are sure you know what you are doing:**Cryptographic Services: Verifies that installed drivers are digitally signed.**IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules: Required by IKE and IPsec**IPsec Policy Agent: Security used by some ISPs. Check before disabling.Network Location Awareness: Notifies about network configuration changes. Can be safely disabled if you are not on a LAN with other computers or don't share files or printers.Program Compatibility Assistant: Only needed if you run programs in compatibility mode.Shell Hardware Detection: If this is disabled, you won't get the autoplay popup window when you insert a CD, DVD, USB drive, or other forms of removable storage.**These are security related and should be left enabled unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing.There are a lot of sites online that tell you what services are safe to disable. You can also read the descriptions that go along with them to see if it's something you use or not. You need to be more positive about disabling Microsoft services because disabling the wrong ones can cause severe problems, which is why I always say to hide them when turning off services.EDIT: Forgot to mention Task Scheduler and Telephony. These are also safe to disable if you don't use them.