How can I speed up my laptop’s webcam?

Ashley January 4, 2011

My webcam on my Asus G60 laptop is much slower than my realtime movement. Is there any way to fix this?

1. Pops

How can I adjust my color on my web-cam. Too dark--thanks, Pops

Pops,

I recommend that you ask a new question.

A lot depends on your camera and the frames per second it is designed to produce. A cheap web-cam may only produce 10 frames per second. Low ambient light will also produce a low frame rate.

Some applications, Yahoo in particular, have a facility where you can increase the frame rate for a loss in image quality.

put it on a USB 2.0 port and turn off some applications.
    With that you will be able to get some more FPS (frames per second, the number of images that the webcam takes to make a movie)

improve the network. Disable all network traffic that isn't used. Might have to set firewall in windows or router to block all other traffic packets.

Using a web cam on a dial up connection really would be testing things to the limit. XP has a default transfer rate in bits per sec through the com port(s) and is usually set to dial up connections of 9600bps. Web cams are set to broadcast like every third frame or so as a default in most programs to make life simple for bad connections and people that have dialup. A live broadcast can eat up a lot of your bandwidth which is why the programs default to the other option.

How To Set-up A Webcam
    http://cowboyfrank.net/webcams/HowTo.htm

Mike's explanation is spot on. A "quick fix" of course would be to max out with a memory upgrade which often helps increase processing of multiple background activities - but as Mike points out it's less about any limitation with the webcam and more about available system resources and the webcam software you're using.

• Ashley

I believe the program is called LifeFrame. It came on my laptop when I bought it and it is still "jumpy" even when I am not running anything else in the background. Do
      I just need to get a different software? I would really like to start a vlog soon and this is slowing me down. I don't have a lot of money to go buy a flip camera like I really wanted.

Your webcam will never really be able to run in "realtime". There will always be both some delay [between what you do and see] and skipping [of faster movement].

Other than that it primarily depends on the softare you are using, settings within the software and what you are doing in the background.

For example when you are running some "hardcore" games, benchmark or encoding there might not be enough system ressources to process the camera data.

When watching your webcam over the internet it also depends on available bandwidth. Depending on the software and settings [resolution, quality, codec, etc.] your webcam stream requires a certain amount of bandwidth. Whenever you hit a bottleneck there the images might get blurred, pixelated or even skipped.

so much for the practice... to help you it would be good to know more about the situation when you are experiencing this. What software are you using? What are you doing in the background? etc.

• Ashley

From what I read about the G60 Webcam is that the frames will drop with high resolutions (above 640x480) and when using auto-exposure under bad lightning conditions.

So my suggestions are:

(1) make sure to use the latest driver for your model and operating system along with the latest version of LifeFrame:
        http://support.asus.com/download/model_list.aspx?product=3&series=195&SLanguage=en-us

(2) try using a video recording resolution equal or lower than 640x480 (if that works fine you can still try going up from there)

(3) make sure lightning is fine within your room so auto-exposure doesn't have to correct too much... if possible within LifeFrame I suggest to turn auto-exposure off entirely and take care of proper lightning yourself