Is there anything I can try to speed up my Internet connection speed?

Bibek Kunwar August 11, 2012

Can anyone advise about any good ways to speed up an Internet connection? What things can I try? Will software work? Can I buy additional hardware? Thanks.

1. Abba Jee

no matter what software or tool you use, it always will be dependent on your ISP speed for example if it's giving you 5 MB/Sec, no software can make it even 5.1 MB/sec , so in my opinion to speed up your intent connection you have to rely on your ISP, maybe no one is agree with me , but I've been used those kind of tools they are just waste of time

2. craig holds

try changing your tcp receive window (tcp rwin) get more help on http://www.dslreports.com or http://www.speedguide.net

3. sagar

how can in increase my mobil net speed in win xp,give me same tipe & setting

Use SG TCP Optimizer from http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php . It is pretty simple and automatic to set optimum TCP/IP threshold for your computer to optimise internet speed. However, netsh is just one aspect, there are other thing beyond your control, like latency at the ISP end, FUP. Also suggest to auto-update your windows, regularly clean your computer (ccleaner) and also regularly check your computer for viruses / trojans / malware / spyware etc. (comodo internet security premium, etc. ) . Believe me I have a 3 year old HP Pavilion, but people with latest i5 get zapped by itt's performance and internet speed as I just follow the basics of good regular computer maintainence.

5. justin san

Some software might works like tcp optimizer, speed boosters but these things may reduce the speed of your computer in future
    Generally the Linux network stack is pretty fast by default. I've seen the odd post here and there that claims have some magic bullet tweak to speed up you internet, but everything that I've tried either has no effect or actually made my connection slower. The only things that I have found that have any real impact on speed is the browser and a faster DNS. As far as your DNS is concerned you could checkout OpenDNS or Google's DNS. In your case though I'm guessing your bottle neck is your hardware.check your speed using http://www.scanmyspeed.com/

6. VictorGeis

Using an ethernet cord is generally faster than using wifi. That would be my first attempt in speeding up your internet.

7. venkatp16

what is your internet connection speed, hardware you are using. Even if you have better internet sppeds sometimes you will feel the web pages loading very slowly. This is mainly due to the DNS servers we use. it takes lot of time to fetch the pages

Try using open DNS servers like 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8 and check

8. Usman Mubashir

there are several programs that promise optimized internet speeds, AVG is also offering internet speed booster in its PC tuneup, but I've used many of them I think they don't work as we might desire.

9. Kaashif Haja

Try changing your DNS to Google or OpenDNS.
    You might see a difference..

10. Adjei Kofi

It depends on the package you requested for from your ISP. You should contact them for an upgrade to a higher bandwidth speed. It comes at a price though.

11. Reý Aetar

change your DNS server to open dns or google public dns,
    check your cables if they are the problem..
    if your isp is a member of the
    Peering Network then use torrents for downloading
    OR
    simply contact your service provider to change the speed with some extra cash

12. echantrea

Trying toolbox from advanced system care 5.2

Lets start with a few details. Internet package?
    Any enhancements to date?

14. Ruben Fitch

Also, programs such as Tuneup utilities can optimize your internet connection by calibrating it to your connection speed.

15. Ruben Fitch

Speedbit Video Accelerator is a great tool for watching videos on popular websites.

Hardware wise it is hard to say...

Usually the hardware you get from your provider should provide the base for the best speeds. But if you upgrade your line (contract) over and over without getting new hardware there is a chance of it limiting your speeds e.g. having an ADSL1 modem connected to a 16Mbit ADSL2+ line.

On the other hand if your attenuation and noise are bad you may not even get half of that speed e.g. my contract is for 8Mbit but the line can't handle more than 4-5Mbit.

Something like the BT iPlate as suggested here may help but once again it epending on where your live and the rest of the hardware you may already have an ADSL splitter in between or built into the modem.
    In the German speaking regions providers usually install splitters by default and those are quality full-rate splitters from Alcatel or Technicolor (Speedtouch).

Software wise there are only parameters to tweak connections for certain tasks e.g. downloading, fast response but those should only be used on machines acting as servers. For general all around usage the defaults are probably the best choice already.

The only thing I believe is worth trying is the Opera browser with it's Opera Turbo feature.
    http://www.opera.com/browser/

17. Mudit Warrior

Well, I would like you to recommend to use iPlate. (BT's)

BT's iPlate also known as a BT broadband accelerator basically gets rid of the bell wire that was used to make old telephones ring.
    Now that the bell wire isn’t needed, it often just acts as a conductor 4 electrical interference, so anything from a microwave to a dodgy lyt fitting can mess with yr broadband connection. Many expert says that the device could boost speeds by up to 60% in some cases, a typical speed increase of up to 1.5Mb - though this isn’t guaranteed. Although all users won’t necessarily c the same level of improvements, many homes with an ADSL connection could benefit from an iPlate.

I have not found any software that fulfils its claims of improving internet connection speeds, though there are a couple that do a good job of measuring your speeds. Most software tools for adjusting network parameters generally make things worse, not better. In most cases, if you want a faster connection, it will probably end up being a case of upgrading your physical link with your ISP to a higher grade (and more expensive) connection.

You must visit the article link below -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pc-internet-speed-tests-improve-bad-results/

If using Windows OS,then try the portable tool -

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Also,check any background processes that are consuming your internet bandwidth especially torrents,that uploads and downloads data simultaneously.