How can I speed up my computer’s startup?

Rakesh July 24, 2010

I use Windows XP. When I start my computer two programs start: Microsoft Office Groove and Supersonic download accelerator. Once I cancel these two windows, only then am I able to go ahead with my work on my PC. These two windows take about 5 minutes to open, thus the delay.

I have already logged off from MS Office Groove. I don’t mind if it’s possible to remove the program from my PS. In Supersonic download accelerator there is no such option as to stop opening of this window at startup.

Kindly suggest what I can do.

1. Best Registry Cleaner

Microsoft Office Groove and Supersonic download accelerator.

I don’t know why. Everybody is talking registry cleaning now. It seems your computer can be faster if you clean registry, so I try the tuneup360. It is not free, but it will give a free license if I agree to do a customer survey. I do feel my computer runs faster after that.

3. Bill Cody

Its very simple, simply click on Start and then run. In the run box type in the word "msconfig" (minus the " marks). Click on the tab labeled "startup" and there you will see all the programs that automatically start when windows boots up. You can stop a program from starting by simply unchecking the box next to the program. You can also check out your "service" tab and see if there are any services starting that you do not want running in the background. I would advise not stopping a service from starting automatically unless you know for sure exactly what that service does.

Rakesh,

You say you don't need MS Groove. Uninstall it. If you don't want Supersonic download accelerator either, uninstall that too. If you can't install them the usual way (through the Add/Remove programs control panel, download IOBit Uninstallater (you can run it directly, it does not require installation) and use that to remove them.

5. Mayank

Well I Too Would Recommend You To Use Soluto.
    It's My Own Personal Experience.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/soluto-improve-windows-boot-time/

I Tried It And It Actually Helped Me Recover My Boot Time.

Use Soluto (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/soluto-improve-windows-boot-time/)
    It times and records your start-up times and then determines how much time each program is contributing to the overall startup time. You can then disable a certain program from starting as soon as your computer does.

7. Michael

Try Soluto. It's a free program that scans everything that executes when you start up Windows. It then gives you a very simple interface to delay or disable programs. It also gives you a description of each program and tells you how many other people either leave it alone, delay it, or disable it. It also tells you exactly how much time each program contributes to your start-up time. It showed me a lot of programs that I didn't even realize ran during start-up.

8. nm

There are a lot of programs that simplify the process of disabling certain programs at startup. One of the best is CCleaner and it does so much more than that - you might find that the overall performance of your computer is a little bit better after using it.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Delete the files in the Startup menu. Start --> Programs --> Startup. What ever program is in that folder will run at startup, so delete it if you don't want it.

Next go into msconfig by typing msconfig into the run command. The click on the startup tab and disable the programs you don't want to run at startup

Your best bet to a faster startup is the MSConfig tool that comes pre-installed with windows. Check out the link below for more on this:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-troubleshoot-your-windows-with-the-msconfig-utility/