Is there a way I can speed up my BitTorrent download speed?

Tosh Sampayo December 17, 2011

1. Get a VPN to avoid ISP throttling, if it's happening

2. Join some private torrent trackers

3. Download only torrents with a large number of seeders

4. Enable DHT and peer sharing (not for private sites)

5. Get a better internet connection

if you reduce upload speed maybe you gain in download

there are so called accelerator but its up to you to take the decision inusing such as this one BitTorrent Turbo Accelerator
    http://www.webspeeders.com/our-speeders/bittorrent-turbo-accelerator.html
    myself didnt tried it.

You can also ask your antimalware to not monitor your downloads with BitTorrent. Also when you use BitTorrent try to not to do other things like surfing on the net and shut down un-necessary service.
    There is a free version limited to one profile in appbooster
    http://www.appsmaker.com/
    you can set a profile during use of BitTorrent and go back to real desktop upon finishing with BitTorrent.

"if you reduce upload speed maybe you gain in download" - not always true. For private trackers I use, the more you upload, the faster you are allowed to download. 

true, but depends also on number of seeders, if one file is seed by only one? private trackers must have more conditions if to survive in downloading.

3. Troll

NO!

Hello, if you follow the instructions in the link below, your speed might improve.  Keep in mind that if there is throttling or you have a slow speed package, there is not much you can do:

http://torrentfreak.com/optimize-your-bittorrent-download-speed/

Tosh,

It's possible that your ISP is throttling your account. Many ISP's do this because BitTorrent eats up a lot of bandwidth. Check out Saikat Basu's article, 10 Ways To Speed Up Torrent Downloads

Does this help?
    - Jeff

Yes and no. In general download speed depends on your internet connection and the sources you are loading from. 

If you download from 10 other users each of them only offering 10kb/s you simply can't get any faster than this (100kb/s).

Of course there is the possibility that your settings slow you down. For example you should never share your entire upload rate for seeding because it will give torrent a hard time to open new download connections. 
    Personally I recommend to share only 70-80% of your upstream bandwidth for seeding.

Another crucial point are the global maximum connections, connections per torrent and simultaneous downloads. 
    If those are set too high your router/modem will eventually choke under the amount of connections. Personally I have always set a global limit of 1000 connections. Depending on how much you download at the time you should set the connections per torrent. 
    For example if you rarely download more than 5 torrents at the same time you can set the connections (peers) per torrent to 200 (1000/5), for 10 simultaneous downloads this would be 100.