What is the best speech-to-text app for dictating notes into digital notebook app (e.g. OneNote, Evernote…)?
Question by Joe Videtto /

Hi all,

I would like to use a handheld device (phone, iPod touch) to dictate notes into a MS OneNote or some other powerful digital online notebook. In addition, I’d like to be able to :

1.) verify that my speech is converted into the correct text, and fix immediately if not

2.) I would be happy to invest in any of either a Windows phone, iPhone, Android phone ONLY if I could use it with my existing Verizon voice plan WITHOUT paying for data/internet access. Outside these options, I would consider an iPod touch.

3.) easily transfer from my device to Windows XP PC

Would love some feedback to know if anyone is currently using such a setup to take notes ‘on-the-fly’ throughout the day, and what phone/software combo would be the easiest to use productively.

Thanks in advance,

• Susendeep Dutta

The best online note taking app is Evernote as it has neat and clean interface.As compared to MS One note it has limitations of taking only 500 motes and for unlimited ones,you need to pay for it.

Evernote vs. OneNote: Note-Taking Apps Showdown –

It would be better to have Android phone with Evernote app on it as it has more freedom for you than other phones which strictly communicate with PC only if their respective softwares( iTunes for iPod/iPhone and Zune for Windows phone ) is installed.

Evernote for Android review –

Understanding Evernote Sync –

In Evernote syncing process,it syncs notes after a certain specified interval of time so that you can access it using any device anywhere and so no need to connect your phone to strictly transfer it to your PC as it’s always available on cloud.

• Joe

Thanks so much for the info and links – now all I need is the best speech-to-text app to use in conjunction. I’ve heard of Dragon Naturally speaking – can it be used together with these apps on those devices ? And can I get away without the extra cost of a data plan ?

• Susendeep Dutta

If you purchase an Android phone,you don’t need to get Dragon app as when you start typing in Android phone,the keyboard have the mike icon and when it’s tapped,it opens up Google voice app which is more accurate than Dragon.If it gets confused it also shows the suggestions which you can tap on and get it corrected.

Regarding data plan,I don’t have much knowledge about it.But they have announced shared data plans which are to become a reality in this summer.Visit the link below for more information.

Verizon shared data plans are due in mid-summer, target users with multiple devices –

• Valerie

The Dragon app is decent at voice recognition, but has some flaws, one of which is that it doesn’t interact well with other phone functions (on the iPhone, at least). If I get an email or travel out of a service area when dictating, it stops the dictation, and loses the file. Obviously, this is a problem.

However, with Evernote, you can simply tap the microphone icon on your keyboard and dictate away. It works great. That’s how I use it on my iPhone. It works beautifully.

• Valerie

Joe, also – as to the data plan, I am not currently aware of any provider that will activate a smartphone – Windows, Android or iPhone, or even a BlackBerry – without a data plan. An iPod touch might be the way to go for you, in that case. I’m not sure how the Evernote sync will work then – probably would have to have a WiFi connection, if you need to transfer it to computer. If you just want to keep the notes on the device, you won’t have any problem.

Also, the previous statement that an iPhone will only sync with the computer through iTunes, is inaccurate. Evernote syncs automatically regardless of device.