Why are my speakers producing this weird sound?

Ramandeep S February 1, 2014

My sound system has a weird problem. Sometimes they give “KRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR” sound.

I so much hate it. Specially whenever I play a video they start doing KRRRRRRR sound. When the problem grows, on every move of my mouse, on every action I take on Windows, they produce such a nasty sound. I have given a video link.

The video is not much clear but you can easily take an idea what’s actually happening. Whenever this sound starts with a video, I can’t listen to a darn thing. I lastly end up with turning off my speakers. Even when I plug earphones in my PC, they also give the same sound. This also has happened when I had Xubuntu installed on my computer. Sometimes it automatically stops doing things like that.

My sound system works smoothly but then it automatically starts behaving like that. I don’t know what is the problem. I don’t think this can be with the sound driver. I have updated my OS and checked again for any sound update but there was none. When checking for the sound device type, computer says it’s ‘High Definition Audio Device’ manufactured by Microsoft and status is OK.

Do you know what could be the problem?

You may want you check inside the computer case for loose, corroded, or tangled wires. A common reason for this type of issue is from wires shorting out (crossed wires that cause a short circuit). Another would be from too high or too low of voltage going through the sound card or amplifier. Try to change the outlet or surge protector that you have your computer connected to. It could be possible that the power supply or integrated sound is going bad. At best, it is just loose wiring or bad/no surge protector; at worst, you would need to install a separate sound card or a new power supply.

• Ramandeep S

Wires are not that much tangled. Could that be because of dusty fan? My power supply fan is full of dust and I don't know how to clean it.
      I doubt if I have a surge protector. There is nothing looks like as it was in pictures when I searched for "surge protector". I don't know what a surge protector is. The wiring is as it was in my new PC. I never changed them.

• Dalsan M

A surge and spike protector plugs into the wall, and then has several electrical outlets that you can plug the computer, monitor, and other peripherals into so they would be protected from electrical spikes and issues, as well as gives you more electrical outlets to plug multiple items into. If you do not have one, I would suggest purchasing one so that your computer would be protected from electrical spikes and issues that may occur throughout the home.

I would clean the vents and fans thoroughly with electronics grade compressed air. These can be purchased at electronics stores in an aerosol can, and normally includes a straw or hose in order to get into tight spaces. I would never use a vacuum cleaner to clean out the computer components as static electricity could be created by the vacuum hose, and if you cause the fan to spin too quickly, it can burn out the fan. I cannot say that a good cleaning would fix the problem, but it will definitely reduce the chances of other issues, such as overheating and premature burnout of the CPU, motherboard, and power supply.

Even though you didn't move the wires, they could have become loose over time, between vibrations of the fans and physically moving the computer from one location to another. I would just make sure that the connections are tight. Although most people do not do this often enough, it should be part of a regular preventative maintenance routine, and should be performed at the same time that you clear the computer of dust and debris.

At this point, it is still rather difficult to pinpoint the cause of your issue, but my main thoughts are a grounding issue causing a short circuit somewhere with the wiring or components, or that the integrated sound is damaged or going out. You may need to try to find a cheap compatible soundcard to install in the computer and use that instead of the integrated sound. You would have better sound and control if you choose a decent soundcard.

• Ramandeep S

You are genius man! That solved the problem. It is the power supply which is causing such weird sound. I just touched the wires inside cabinet and the sound gone! If I can give you 20 of my points. If any MUO employee reading this then do that. Thanks.

• Dalsan M

You are quite welcome. Knowing that I have helped you is thanks enough. Good luck.

• Ramandeep S

Since your answer must have gone for moderating, I haven't read it. Thank you for the reply.

you can add switch to another speaker and check if the problem is solved, then you have to buy a new speaker.