Why am I getting spam from myself in Yahoo Mail?

marx December 23, 2011

My Yahoo account somehow is hacked. I get spam from my Yahoo account from myself to myself. I have talked with Yahoo support, changed my password, copied the headers, and provided them to yahoo, but it continues. Any ideas? Thank you!

1. Dadapapa

In your Yahoo Mail goto:
    1)  Options - choose Mail Options2)  Signature- create a unique signature for your own name something like  "## YOUR NAME ##" or anything you'd like to appear as your signature3) Filters: Create a filter with SENDER CONTAINS ( enter your email ), and EMAIL BODY CONTAINS (enter your signature from step 2), and choose deliver email to : SPAM.It will take care of it.

This will only work if the mail is sent from his account, though. If the email address is spoofed and the mail actually comes from somewhere else, then it won't have that signature.

Hello, Is this your main account?  It would be a good idea to backup your contacts and once backed up, delete all of them.  The same thing applies to any folder where you have any important information.  Back them up and then delete.  As a courtesy, let your contacts know about the situation and if possible warn them not to open this emails or click any links in them.  If you implement this, at least you will not be sending emails to your contacts and therefore they can not be added to spammer chain.

It is also a good idea to create another account just for subscribing to sites, forums, etc. 

• Marxubuntu

thank you, no this is not a main account, i have deleted contacts, thanks again.

no problem.

well then you have internet problem (a spy), or someone from surroundings knows you well or hacked the system. To trace can be difficult if the hacker is clever and dont send email from the same place.

4. Mulder

Your account hasn't been hacked; a spammer got hold of your email address and is spoofing emails from you. This is a common practice among spammers. If you look at the full headers of those emails, you'll see either a Reply-To:, or Return-Path: email address, and it probably won't be your address.

But even if it is, you can look at the Received-Spf: or one of the Received: lines directly above that one for the IP address of the sender. Lookup that IP address with Whois and you'll see where that email was really sent from, but not who sent it.