How do I get sound working on Windows 7 when drivers aren’t supported?

Keenin Barnett August 10, 2012

I just recently bought a custom made PC. The guy put Windows 7 Ultimate on it but later on I found out that I have no sound. Windows says “no audio output device is installed”. I looked up the drivers and they apparently don’t support Windows 7 so what do I do to get sound? Please someone help me with this!

Hello, there is also another possibility. It could be that the cable for sound is not connected to the motherboard. Based on the “no audio output device is installed" is the more likely explanation. The only way you can find out if that is the case, is by opening the case and check that the cable is connected to mother. Most newer towers have two kind of sound, HD and the regular sound cable. Check the following instruction about how to go about it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2215213_install-front-usb-sound-cables.html

It is not hard, it is a matter of finding the sound header in the motherboard and connect the cable. As an alternative, you could contact the person/company that built the computer for you and ask him/her to check if the sound cable is connected to motherboard.

2. jrasulev

1st see what hardware mounted on your desktop then google it for drives

3. Reý Aetar

what is your mother board model search that model on google for drivers and support

4. Erlis Dhima

The one helped me with that is "ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor"... But not with audio driver, since windows 7 installs it when you format your computer...
    But I have seen this problem in one desktop that didn't support the audio driver, even with win 7.. Never turned back to retry when I found paretologic... So better if you try it... Maybe it works for you...
    Also don't forget (if you try this app), go to settings > scan settings, and see if all the options are ticked (the driver update is important)..
    And then, click scan...
    After scanning, you will see if it found any driver for sound or no...
    Hope it helps!

5. Lambvolution

i'm not using drivers on windows 7 but sound still working.
    try to check on device manager, right click on sound device and search for driver

6. Igor Rizvi?

intall the latest version of drivers and put it on compability mode,under win xp sp 3,and run as administrator

7. Pankaj Lakhani

Well, Windows 7 comes with pre-installed drivers in it. If it doesn't support your speakers, you might have to install it. You can find your drivers on intel website or finding the drivers on Google by searching its model name and then drivers. It will help you locate the appropriate sound drivers then Download the latest version of Realtek from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

8. Dany Bouffard

If your sound device is really unsupported in Windows 7, you might try Windows Vista drivers, but before trying that make sure to make a system restore point in case it doesn'nt work well. It sometimes work and sometimes dont.

9. Dany Bouffard

On rare occasion if Windows 7 drivers really dont exist for your device you might try Vista drivers. But its not very good and sometimes does'nt work anyway. so before trying stuff like that make a system restore point.

10. Bibek Kunwar

Re- install by disabling the driver or format your computer. It will surely work

if you have downloaded the driver then right click on it and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility then choose Try Recommended Settings.

Or right click then choose properties then click on compatibility then try Run this program in compatibility mode for..and choose another operating system from the drop down menu.

If you provide your motherboard model,then I can provide you driver link for Windows 7.If you're uncomfortable with it,then try Slimdrivers software -

http://www.driverupdate.net/download.php

13. George Monroe

i have unsupport speakers also, i just kept trying different drivers until i found one that works, i started with the ones offered by the computer manufactorer and fortunetly one finally worked.