How can I make sound work on my Windows 7 laptop?

Donna Robinson December 14, 2011

I have a Presario CQ61 laptop. How can I re-install the audio so it works on Windows 7?

Hello, was the sound working ok before?  Have you checked in device manager for any problems related to sound?  Follow the next instructions to check:

-- log in with administrator account
    -- click on windows key + Pause/Break at same time
    -- click on device manager
    -- scroll down until you reach the sound, video and game controller tab
    -- is there any warning, exclamation marks, etc next to sound icon?
    -- You could try updating the drivers from here by right clicking on sound icon
    -- select update drivers

You could also update drivers by going to following site.  Select your specific model:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

Once your model is selected, you have to select your operating system.  If you are running windows 7 x86 or 64 bits.  Once you select both of these things, it will show you the drivers available for them.  Look for the sound drivers and download them.  Once downloaded, install them.  

2. Dave Parrack

It depends what you have done to lose sound in the first place. If it's a driver issue then click Start Menu, Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Device Manager. Scroll down the list to Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and then Update Driver Software.