Why is there still sound from my speakers when I plug in my headphones and how can I fix it?
Question by Ayesha Ayaz /

When I plug my headphones I can hear from them and the computer’s speakers. What should I do to only hear from them?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , .
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Wearable Tech
Wearable Tech

• Rakesh Mishra

in the properties u have turn off the front speakers

• Indronil Mondal

realtek hd audio driver dont have this option in the latest driver you have to manually lower the speaker volume

• Alan Wade

Open audio manager, on right top side there’s “Device advanced settings”. Click it and check if “Mute the read output device, when a front headphone plugged in” is selected.

Then click on “Connector settings”, in my version (6.0.1.6194) it’s the yellow button under the device advanced settings, and check that “Disable front panel jack detection” is not checked.

If it still doesn’t work check if you have headphones connector on the speakers and use that instead, that should mute the speakers.

• Aniket Singh

u can only do this..
    turn off ur speaker aur plugged out them
    aur disable form control panel

• Naveen Kumar

if you are not using speakers try to turn it off or mute the volume

• josemon maliakal

Usually that doesnot happen..Check your connections and speaker settings on your control panel

• Jim Chambers

You could mute the speakers in your audio control panel

Make sure your headphones are connected. Right-click the speaker icon in the notification area and select ‘Playback devices’. Select the headphones entry and click on the Set Default button. Now whenever the headphones are plugged in, they should be the (only) device that the audio will be piped to. When you unplug them, it should revert to your previously selected default device (your speakers or HDMI output).

• Douglas Mutay

If you’ve tried this idea from Bruce and still have the same problem, so the other option would be to mute the speaker volume ;-)

• Dave Rimmer

If you are using a desktop like me then make sure your speakers are turned off when your headphones are plugged into them.