Is it possible to have sound play in only one open window?

Patricia Calvert October 3, 2012

Whenever I have more than one window open I can’t stand to hear overlapping sound coming from one or more of the other open windows. Is there a way to stop that? Can you tell me of a way to isolate the sound to the window I am viewing—other than switching to one window after another, hunting down the source of the sound, and then muting it (if possible)?

1. Dave Rimmer

Found this not sure if this is what you want as I have never tried it - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/muter/

Hope this helps.

2. James Franklin

Are you talking about when you're using a browser, or just using different applications in general?

3. hamad3914

You can mute other applications volumes in the Mixer down in the bottom right of the task bar (only in Windows 7 and Vista)

4. HLJonnalagadda

MuteTab, a Chrome extension is what you need. It isolates which tab the sound is coming from, and there is a setting to mute all sounds from other tabs.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mutetab/nmkbaaijgpppbokgnhhoakihofedkgcc

• hamad3914

Wow thanks a lot

• HLJonnalagadda

You're welcome!

• Patricia Calvert

I don't use Chrome exclusively due to the high demands it often puts on my CPU, but when I do use it I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thank you!

5. Vincent Lu

Assuming you are using Windows Vista or 7. There is volume mixer in the task where you can simply mute the applications.

• Patricia Calvert

Thanks for your reply, and yes, I've pretty much always been aware of that feature. I was hoping to find a way to mute all the open windows except for the one I am viewing at any given time, and the Chrome app suggestion may be as close as I'm going to get at this point in time.