Which sound format should I choose when compressing videos?

TonyB June 20, 2010

I am compressing mpeg files to AVI (H.264) format. I am specifying mp3 as my chosen sound format. However, I learn that AAC is far more efficient and modern a format for sound. So I can do that – I use Super, which works well.

My question is the compatibility (or suitability even) of that combination (AVI H.246 + AAC) with common software and hardware media players – some of which seem to be able to play 1 of these, but not with the other.

Which way is the industry heading on this score? I want my newly compressed video files to be as compatible as possible – even if it means sticking AVI (H.264) + mp3, which does currently seem to work in most players.

1. pceasies

I normally choose AAC as it seems to be the standard when compressing with h.264. If you are using MP3 you should use the LAME audio codec as it seems to be highly recommended everywhere I visit.

(www).Doom9.org offers great guides and information on audio and video conversion
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68300#post424063

Part way down they offer some links to websites giving details about different formats. In general I'd have to say MP3 is more compatible, but AAC is better quality.

• TonyB

Thanks pceasies. Seems I'll continue now with H.264 & mp3, since as you say, for some reason some hardware & software players don't like the H.264 & AAC combination.. sadly cos as you say, AAC is a better codec.