Where do I get the sound drivers for Ubuntu?

Jojo John September 5, 2011

I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop using the install inside Windows options (Wubi). Now I can’t install the sound drivers, nor I could find it using the search option. Earlier, the download option was made available when I used to try to play any file in the player, but this option is not working now!

1. Sabre7452

I have a issue with my audio.  I performed the above troubleshooting with no change.  Here's my info:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Sabre,

this is a completely different question and I recommend that you submit a new question via MakeUseOf Answers. You will receive an answer within several hours.

Jojo,

did Jeffery's suggestion help you fix the issue? Please do let us know in case you need further advice. Thanks!

Go to the Application orb and search "Additional Drivers". That will launch the application responsible for installing drivers. You should also install updates available for Ubuntu, as that fixes a lot of the initial problems. To do so, go to the Menu orb and type "terminal". Once the terminal opens type "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" without quotes.

A common issue is that alsamixer has muted your audio. Check by going to a terminal and typing "alsamixer", make your sound card is selected (press F6 to switch) and make sure none of the levels are muted or low.

Ubuntu Documentation - I can't hear any sounds on the computerIf none of this helps you fix your problem, please post the output from the command "aplay -l" here. This will help me diagnose the issue with your particular sound card.