How can I sort photos by date in Windows 7?

paul May 5, 2010

I’ve just bought a laptop with Windows 7. My old XP system allowed me to put photos into my pictures and click on view, sort by and then click on time taken. When I photograph a wedding I use two cameras and when I upload the photos I can’t put them in chronological order because it doesn’t have a time taken facility. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you for sharing your solution, David!

2. SANNAH-12

hi i just wanted to ask how do i sort out my pics in date taken order ive tryed everything but still it wont let me do it .................... i think this is because i did not safely remove my usb ...................... PLEASE CAN U HELP ME SOMEONE

Sannah,

the above question is over a year old. I recommend that you submit a new question via MakeUseOf Answers. You will receive an answer within several hours.

3. Bill

Do search for "explorer++".. Its a free very enhanced version of Win explorer with many enhancements. I'm sure I saw date and time in the sort options. I hate win7 explorer, still haven't found a way to up one sub directory, but very new to it and haven't played much with it. Don't intend to either, will learn to use ++ instead.

4. Moefayetravel

It is now Sept 22, 2011.  Has anyone come up with a way to resolve Paul's problem.  I have the same situation.  Two cameras, two photographers taking photos of the same event.  When we are finished we need them sorted by TIME TAKEN, regardless of which camera was used.  Did Windows 7 designers just decide to do away with that routine which did this so well in Windows XP?  'Moe' G-wood

Moe,

since it has been so long, it is unlikely that you will receive a fresh answer within this comment thread. I recommend that you ask a new question, which will receive more exposure.

5. OmuKama_1

Still no answer for sort by TIME taken ?   Time and date are NOT the same. Like Paul (the OP ) I use two cameras on the same day.  Windows 7 seems unable to merge two lots of file names by time taken.

6. MickB

I am happy to do this
    1. Arrange By: Folder
    2. Right click -> Sort by... -> Date
    3. Right click -> Sort by... -> Ascending
    and all the photos are sorted by date and time taken, now how do I apply this to all sub folders without opening my 300 + sub folders ?

7. Moogbert

1. Arrange By: Folder
    2. Right click -> Sort by... -> Date

This should sort them by date AND time.

8. Glynne

recording time

9. nm

Hi Paul - in order to see the file/edit/view menu in Windows 7 click on the 'Organize' button at the top of the window and select 'Layout.' Make sure that 'Menu bar' is checked.

Once it's checked - you should get your standard menu at the top of the window where you can choose View/Details - and organize your photos by date.

• message for nancy messieh

thanks nancy, i have the standard menu up but i dont want to organise the photos by date but by time taken, this facility was available on xp but i cant find it on 7.
      regards,
      paul

• pceasies

Right-click > Sort By > More... > Scroll and check 'Date Taken'

Now enter the Sort By menu again and select Date Taken

• Injeanious1

sadly date taken is not the same as time taken