Can a Sony PS3 serve as a wireless LAN adapter?

Kiran Balakrishna November 13, 2011

Can my Sony Playstation 3 also play the roll of a wireless LAN adapter for my Sony Bravia 46 inch TV (model: KDL – 46EX520)? If not, I may have to buy a USB Wireless LAN adapter and get it connected to my router in order to access Internet and files on my external hard disk.

Nope, and you can't plug a wireless adapter into your TV either (well, you *can*, but it wont do anything). 

Actually, I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to do here. Could you clarify?

It sounds like you're trying to watch media from your usb hard disk on the TV. The easiest answer would be - just connect the external hard disk to your playstation. It should be able to play most file formats from there, and the playstation already has an internet browser. 

If the ubs hard disk is connected to your PC, which is also on the network with the ps3, you may want to look at media server apps such as "ps3 media server" (google it). These would them stream movies to your ps3, to play on your tv. 

Basically, if you have ps3 then there is really no reason to network your TV too. Even if your tv was capable of that, the built-in software and capabilities of TVs are usually quite poor, unable to play most filetypes etc and very limited. 

Please clarify if you meant something else.