Why does my Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V play HD videos better than my laptops?

Husnain Ahmad November 4, 2012

I have a Dell laptop with a Core 2 Duo CPU and 4GB of physical RAM. A couple of days ago I was watching Shrek in 1080p on my laptop and well it was smooth if I give it a couple of seconds to settle down after moving the progress bar to some other place in the media player.

Whereas in my sonyericsson xperia neo V the video takes just a blink of an eye to load and then it cruises like a smoothie if I move it some place forward or backward on the progress bar.

Why is it so?

I have also obseved the same difference on a Core i5 HP laptop vs Sony Xperia U.

1. Tanveer Ahmed

because the laptop uses a mechanical harddrive so when you move slider back and forward it takes some time to load
    whereas on mobile phone the movie is stored on a chip from which data transfer is much faster than a harddrive..

2. Indronil Mondal

i too have this problem
    video isnt so clear &etc
    but i noticed i did not had it on vlc or mpc in windows xp or ubuntu
    maybe because of problems with win 7
    try out another os other than windows 7 64 bit the problem will be gone

Hello Husnain, that should not be the case. Although the nature of flash storage on a cell phone (which has very little latency) permits quick loading of video, the actual processing of the video should be considerably faster on a Windows system than on a cell phone's ARM CPU.

That is because a Core2Duo possesses many times greater the processing power of a cell phone. Even the fastest phones today are not nearly as powerful as a Core2Duo on a clock-per-clock basis.

The source of your problem is likely related to the software you have installed on the laptop. As ha14 suggested, having the wrong codecs installed can cause this issue. My suggestion is to install VLC Player.

Another possibility is that you have inefficient allocation of IGP memory in your BIOS to your graphics processor. Here's how to increase memory with an integrated GPU. I don't know what model of PC you have, so this is just an example.

Or your CPU might be overburdened by background programs. Try closing all programs before running your video and give your computer a bit of a performance bump.

can be because lack of codecs, the media player is not good one, your graphic card is old...

5. Aniket Singh

it is because of resolution.........

6. Erlis Dhima

What the others said is probably enough.. But I will add something...
    I think, first of all, should know that if you don't have at least 512Mb of graphic card.
    First of all I would suggest update your graphics card, and use a video player like Media Player Classic, or VLC Media Player..
    I can't give you more help, since it has to do with your hardware, more than your software or drivers! From what I read, Windows 8 has a better graphics acceleration!
    Also, read tutorials online about how to watch 1080p videos with your MPC or VLC!
    P.S.
    I have a Core 2 Duo CPU and 4GB of physical RAM, with an integrated 512MB nVidia graphics card, and I watch 1080p movies and have great fun! ^^
    I have installed the right software to watch them.. But maybe I can watch them 'cause it has some extensions, like: Holographic 3D. Also, it has a blu-ray reader.. Which means Full HD videos can be played!

7. Yiz Borol

It probably has to do with graphics handling.

Your dell (probably) has a integrated graphics card (meaning junky) so even though it has more ram and a better processor it doesn't handle graphics so well.
    The Phone on the other hand was custom made with proper graphics handling in mind thus even though it's got a slower processor and less ram, it uses it efficiently and provides a better viewing experience.

(Also to note: your laptop is multitasking, doing a ton of things in the background, your phone doesn't have true multi-tasking and so it only really needs to worry about providing a fast video experience, while everything is kinda ignored.

8. Boni Oloff

Maybe it is because Smart Phone have a bigger DPI than most laptop.
    DPI means Dot Per Inch, the bigger the DPI the sharper the view like in IPhone.

• Douglas Mutay

I agree with you, Boni

• Boni Oloff

Yeah,, Thanks..
        I think all the laprop has to increase their display DPI standar. Since many smartphones maker like Apple and Samsung have increased their display quality, then why laptop cannot do the same thing.

• Douglas Mutay

Yes, except for the Apple MacBook pro with its Retina display which they claim to have a high enough pixel density that the human eye is unable to notice pixelation at a typical viewing distance... but this still to be proven...

• Boni Oloff

Yeah.. It makes me want it so much...
          It's my dream laptop btw..