How could someone become a Facebook friend without my knowledge?

March 18, 2014

Someone just posted on my timeline where only my Friends can post. The post is abusive. I looked and the person is in my friends list! How can that be? I can’t find any history of when that person became my friend. The only answer I can come up with is that when my iPad was unlocked someone accessed Facebook and friended me then deleted the track from my activity log and also accessed my emails and deleted the email notification. I would be grateful to hear how else you think they may have done it. Thanks.

1. Abilash A

No one can get into your friend's list, unless you accept or request. You may have to change your password to prevent anyone from accessing your account

Thank you very much the answer.

2. Jeff F

People are appearing on my friend list without me sending them a friend request.

That's totally plausible. It's also possible that you added a rogue friend. A rogue friend is an account cloned, by design to trick you into thinking that it was somebody else so that you would add them. Back in 2011 there was a bug in Facebook whereby you could swap the friend request handle in the page's source so that the adder receives the friend request instead of the addee, thereby allowing the adder to confirm the friendship without the knowledge of the addee.

Also, I suggest just as a security precaution to scan your computer for malware and remove any if you find them. Restart and then change your Facebook password.

The Complete Malware Removal Guide
    7 Ways To Make Up Passwords That Are Both Secure & Memorable
    5 Things You Can Do NOW To Secure Your Facebook Account & Make It Recoverable

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.