How is someone able to hack into my mobile’s messages and online data?

maria saez October 10, 2014

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. My ex-boyfriend and I have broke up 2 months ago. I haven’t seen him so there’s no way he downloaded any stalking apps onto it.

He recently sent me a screenshot of all my messages… He also managed to get into apps such as Facebook, Instagram, Hotmail. I got a factory reset and he is still able to see everything. I don’t know what else to do… Anyone familiar with this type of stuff? ):
Its pretty creepy… I have no privacy ) :

1. DalSan M

Factory reset and delete/format the internal storage of your phone, and when you are seeing up the phone, create and use a different Gmail account with a different password than your other account. This should mage it difficult for a person to use the Play Store online to install apps onto your device. Also, do not setup cloud sync/storage apps like Dropbox that can install backups or be able to upload pictures and other information from your phone.

2. layla

I dont have an answer but I do have someone that is doing the exact same thing to me and I have ideas of who but.. ? All I want to jniw is how to be rid of such a cruel, vicious, cold hearted person. And the law around here will do nothing but laugh. Ive tried resets several. Security apps. Im not cell phone savvy so I am really at a loss. As what to do! Someone please help

3. DalSan M

Check to see if there are any apps installed that you do not recognize, or think may be questionable. If your ex has your Gmail address and password, it is possible for him to go to the Play Store online and install apps that can read various information. Definitely change your passwords, go through the Play Store and view all of your apps that have been and are installed and remove apps that you feel are questionable or no longer want. Installing an antivirus and scanning the phone is important to make sure your phone is clean from malware. Also, get the police involved since this is illegal activity. This is something you don't want to just let go and ignore because it will continue, if not with you for years, it will with other people as well.

Jan makes some excellent points, but I'd like to add to them. First of all, since you know who the hacker is and you have evidence, complain to the police! You may feel uncomfortable about this, but if your ex-boyf can do this to you, might he not be encouraged to by your silence to do this to others in the future?

Secondly, it's more likely he got into your online accounts rather than into Android. If he had your Hotmail password, for example (which he could have found out while you were going out), he could easily have used that account to gain access to Facebook and your other accounts. Therefore, as Jan suggests, change your online passwords, and also, importantly, change your security questions since he's likely to know the answers by now!

It's impossible to know without doing forensic work whether he's actually hacked into your phone, but from your description is sounds to me unlikely. He's probably only got access to your online account. Nevertheless, make sure to install security software on your phone (e.g. Avast or McAfee) and scan your phone for any malicious software.

5. Jan F.

How did you restore your data after the factory reset? If you restored it from a backup there is the chance that whatever he is using to get this data was restored too.

Second to that change all your password starting with your mail account(s). Then check all the recovery options for services like Facebook, Instagram, Hotmail etc. to make sure your ex is not receiving any notifications (and of course you being able to recover said accounts when you need to). Finally, change the password for those services.

I'm not too familiar with Android so someone else here can probably tell you more precisely what might enable him to see that data. But basically, anything that requires an account or login could be storing the data in another place (the cloud) ~ so changing all those passwords is a must.