How can I solve a ‘No Battery Present’ problem in Ubuntu 10.10?

thuci May 19, 2011

I am using Ubuntu10.10 in my Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop. In Power Management Preferences there are no options for ‘On Battery’. How to fix it?

1. Joecrawford

@Jay - that might be the best place to start. If not, the person will have to "tell" the computer it is there via some command line magic.  However, this is specific to the computer hardware and there is no simple code to just dump in the CLI for this.

Turn off laptop, remove the A/C adapter
    Remove the battery for a while.
    Re-connect the battery and
    reboot.
    let me know whether it worked.

3. Roy

That is a common issue, and a tough one.  I don't know for sure if anyone has come up with a fix yet, but I've seen the complaint from a few people.

For some reason, Toshibas seem to have a history of this issue and some wireless card issues with Ubuntu.  There are a few people who report the same problem with an Acer, Sony or HP/Compaq model occasionally, but seemingly more Toshibas than anything.

One user had success (with an Acer, not a Toshiba) after updating his BIOS.  That might be worth a try; it shouldn't hurt anything even if it doesn't solve the issue.  Other than that, I'd suggest posting in the Ubuntu Forums, at least then when a fix is found or developed you'll be likely to hear of it right away.