How can I solve my computer’s blue screen of death?

Danielle Hennin October 6, 2012

My PC running Windows XP keeps rebooting itself and freezing. The error code is 0x0000009c.

One thing that I was advised to do, after sending the report to Microsoft, was to disable the caching, and shadowing in BIOS. In a closed thread, I read how to accomplish that. Is that a safe thing to do?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have a laptop with Windows 7, but I much prefer the PC, and would love to resolve this issue.

1. resham

thank you all for your help i will try each sugetion one by one and let u now how i made u out

2. Chee Yong Hsia

Just to make sure... test your ram & harddrive.

3. Saina Nehwal

Have you checked all what Manish ask you for?
    Is still you are facing same problem then may be your copy of windows is corrupted, try to repair or reinstall a new copy of windows to your system.

4. Bhavuk Jain

The blue screen error that you get is because there is a problem in the RAM. Try to clean up your RAM area. The dust particles may be causing the problem. If there is still a problem then replace it with a new one.

5. Drew Butler

Just thought I'd add that linux is a free, open source windows alternative you may want to check out.

6. shaurya gupta

you can use the recovery disk. You can also restore your computer to another point, though i don't think it's gonna work on xp. you can repairs your windows. rofl... :)

7. Jan Fritsch

Yes, disabling the caching and shadowing of the video and system BIOS is fine to do.

These are legacy settings that in the past improved the systems performance. The problem is that they are cached at a very specific space of the physical memory which nowadays is used for crucial operating system (at least for Windows).

This "collision" could very well be the reason for the BSOD.

Thank you all for your help. I'll try each suggestion, one by one, and let you know how I made out.

9. Harish Jonnalagadda

Reseat the RAM, and check the hard drive cabling. Also use the Windows recovery disc to revert back if that can be done, otherwise just use a recovery mode to reset.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred.
    Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU,
    hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its
    capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

clean your hardware from dust, remove ram clean them and reinsert, check your cmos battery or replace.

try to use whocrashed to read the minidump file and see what is causing it
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

boot on windows cd and use restore point to revert back to earlier state where everything was fine.

11. Adrian Rea

True what Isaac says, you could also use a recovery disk and try a repair windows option. Or you can try a use a known previous instance to try and jump back before a change was made.

12. Isaac Elesha

BSOD is sometimes caused by oudated or buggy device divers.by disabling caching and shadowing in bios,you preven the processor from loading these buggy device divers from been loaded into the system RAM.What microsoft is trying to do is to help you rule out the device that has bugy or outdated drivers.If your sysem works fine after disabling caching and shadowing,then you are having a buggy or outdated device driver and the solution is to update your device divers.(it could be video o netork card device diver).check microsoft for latest device driver updats.
    Note:try boot your pc from safe mode before trying to disable caching and shadowing.if your sysem work fine then it shows that a device driver is causing the problem.pls let us know what you come up with.