How do Solid State Drives compare to SATA drives?

Tom June 27, 2010

For anyone who has actually used an SSD (solid state drive), how noticeable are the performance gains compared to a SATA drive? I know SSDs cost more and have less storage space, but is it worth it?

I’m thinking of getting a new laptop so any input would be helpful and much appreciated!

Tom, SSDs generally have much faster ACCESS time than hard disc (that's the time it takes to start reading the file from the disc). Transfer speed (speed of transfering large amounts of data) and write speeds, on the other hand, are highly variable between SSD models and you'll need to check for yourself.
    In practice this means that SSDs are really good for loading software, including the system, but not necessarily as good at reading and writing data files, which may be quite large.

2. Taty

Hi Tom. One of the main advantages of SSDs is that they have no moving parts, which makes them more reliable, less prone to wear and tear related issues and overheating and quicker access to data since they are built on semiconductors instead of magnetic drives. The question is whether at this state it is worth choosing that over standard drives, since their storage space is so limited in comparison to standard drives and the price tends to be higher. My suggestion is that it depends on you as a user. If you need your laptop to endure a lot of movement, bumps and travelling, it might be a safer alternative. If, on the other hand, you need large storage spaces and many programs, it might not be worth the trade off.
    Personally, I prefer SSD for things like MP3 players and mobile devices, and will use all the storage I can get for my laptops.