Can you help me with software and website recommendations related to short movies?

Osama July 7, 2010

I am fond of making short movies. I wanted to ask few questions which are related to my passion :

1. Is there a FREE and easy desktop application (Windows) to add subtiltles ?
2. What are good and easy alternatives (better would be good) to Windows Movie Maker ?
3. From where on the web, can I get copyright-free soundtracks containing only music, not vocals (and long ones, not short sound effects) to use in the backgrounds of my videos ?

1. Lucky_ayaan0121

want a full version free software to enlarge images and make it as my desktop wallpaper without loss of resolution

Lucky,
      I recommend that you post a new question! Come to http://www.makeuseof.com/answers and click the Ask a Question link, currently located in the top left.

2. Osama

what about video editors? better suggest offline ones

• Jessica Cam W.

Avidemux and VirtualDub are pretty capable open-source video editors. Avidemux is slightly easier to learn, but VirtualDub has the ability to embed subtitles into your videos.

3. Saikat Basu

Off hand, Melody Loops is one place you can try for royalty free background music. A lot of their midi files are of $0. Another site is Free Soundtrack Music.

Try out these sites also - Soundzabound
    The Best Sites To Download Free Music
    Top 10 Websites For Free & Legal MP3 Music Downloads

For adding subtitles, check out http://www.divxland.org/subtitler.php

Regarding copy right free music, i would recommend you to check out online music streaming website. No legal website will allow you to download music directly to your PC.

• Jessica Cam W.

I second the Divxland Subtitler as it's pretty easy to learn. There's also the open-source Aegisub that lets you create and edit the color and position of the subtitles.

To embed subtitles permanently onto a video, you need to use VirtualDub.

Animoto and OneTrueMedia, both online video makers, are good alternatives to WMM, as is Avidemux, which is more of a video editor that lets you cut and join videos, but you can also use VirtualDub to cut/join the videos (read here to see how).

For audio clips, you could try the Community Audio site, which offers open-source clips.