What software can support user generated forms for scanning in and summarizing in Excel?

Joe Videtto June 20, 2011

Hi all,

I’m looking for a program that will allow me to create my own forms that include radio boxes, dropdown selections, etc., almost like a survey, and can be printed out for manual filling out (pencil and paper, because not everyone has a netbook to carry around in our school setting). Users would fill out the forms. Then, my hope is that the data could be scanned in, and summarized in, for example, Excel.

Is there any software or combination of software packages that will enable this with the minimum of coding ?

1. joe videtto

Thanks very much.  No matter how much we would like everyone to have a netbook and capture everything electronically, in many cases, paper is cheaper and more convenient (it doesn't break when you drop it, it not that expensive to replace when you lose a sheet or two, has no on/off or battery life issues, and very small initial investment).  I would think there would be a bigger market for such an application - but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for your suggestions - I will check out both apps, and am quite excited that a tool exists that may do exactly what I'm looking for.  Next best thing would be a less expensive freeware package :)

Thanks for the feedback, Joe. Please let us know which app works best for you.

Remark Office OMR does eactly hat you are looking for. It's not cheap (around £800 per copy in the UK), but a lot cheaper than anything else I've seen, and works well.

Formtool Professional may be able to do this (not enough info on their site about it, but it does support scanning and conversion of existing paper forms, but it does not specify if it can scan completed forms).  They do have a trial version that you can download and try to see if it meets your needs.  (I used to use a much older version of this program in the late 80s & early 90s while in the army to create forms for circuit, link and radio systems testing.)