What’s the best software for ripping DVDs?
Question by subbu /

Can anyone tell me of a DVD ripping application that doesn’t compromise video quality while keeping file size small?

• Richard Carpenter

Ussually the Peple that hold the copyright will find the torrent the seed it and watch for IPs to start showing up. This is the easiest way. I am a trained CEH, I have seen people in other countries pushing malware and we can do nothing… If a country will not touch them, why would they touch people pirating movies?

This is a rather sensitive for myself, I have lost money because I have had copyrighted material stolen. It has personally hit me where it hurts, so I have a very strong opinion on the subject. I by no means meant to insult anyone by my comments. But I will say this, Having someone steal something from you, and you can not do anything about it but watch everyone download it for free really hits home. 

• Richard Carpenter

If I remember correctly, by US Federal law, it is illegal to take a copy of any DVD that has been encrypted, whether for archive or not. Most other countries also do have similar laws. The paid-for programs usually will not even touched them, these programs are considered illegal in the USA. 

Source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/judge-copying-dvds-is-illegal/

That said, If you make a backup of a DVD you bought and it never leaves your house, the FBI or Secret Service, etc, are not going to care. The problems come in when people start selling or giving them away, also downloading ripped from various sources, which is easily traceable. 

• Jeff Fabish

Hi subbu,

Is the CD/DVD you’re trying to rip protected by a copyright? Check out a few articles MakeUseOf has on this topic.

5 Simple Steps To Rip An Entire DVD To Your Hard DriveHow to Copy DVDs That Are Copyright Protected (Windows)
    bitRipper : One-Click Free DVD Ripper for Windows

– Jeff

• Sonny Bass

Freemake video converter does a good job and offers a variety of formats you can save to. As Richard pointed out there is going to be quality loss any time you compress or reduce the size of a file.

• Richard Carpenter

Used the FreeMake video converter myself, nice excellent of software. 

• Richard Carpenter

Well, another speech on the moral part of it… If the DVD is Copy-Right protected, we can’t ethically help you. If you rip the DVD just to your computer, this is a bit of a grey area, but I if you give anyone a copy of the DVD, money involved or not, you could be looking at some serious fines.

You will lose some video quality no matter what ripping a DVD.There are several off-the-shelf utilities out there that will rip a un-protected DVD. I personally use VLC player.

• Leroy Jenkins

You are allowed to create a backup of all of the content you own. You are allowed to create a backup copy for every piece of media that you buy. This is sometimes referred to as the fair use rule in copyright law in the US. The MPAA wants to point out that they are trying to make it illegal via acts such as the DMCA which say breaking their protection is wrong. However copyright law says you get a copy of what you own. These tools are amoral. How a person uses them determines whether or not they are being used ethically or not. Just like a knife can be use to prepare food rather than stabbing people all crazy like. I would like to think that you can privately back up your own content without some billion dollar organizations trying to bully you and steal more of your freedom away. Also, portable media players are replacing the now archaic portable dvd players. Many individuals would like to view their content on a device smaller than a dvd when on the go. 

Now, on to another point many individuals may be confused on. When making a backup of something like a dvd, you can make a clone of it or a rip of it. Ripping of it may result in some less of quality, but the payoff would be smaller file sizes if you are doing it right (backing up a dvd to a .mkv or .avi file for example). Cloning is when you copy all of the original data and make a full backup of it. The file will be as large as it was on the disc. The only difference is that you may remove the encryption that won’t let you create a backup of your content. 

My preferred way of backing up my own dvds is cloning. It involves Slysoft’s AnyDVD(not free) and DVDShrink(free). Both are working on my Windows 7 Pro system. AnyDVD works in the background, remove the encryption, and DVDShrink will then be able to either create an .ISO image of the dvd or burn it to a disc. For movies under 4.3GB, they are uncompressed and there isn’t a bit of detail changed. This is the method I use and am comfortable with, which is why I use it. There are other methods out there as well. I have yet to work with Blu-ray discs, but AnyDVD HD can handle that encryption I’ve heard.

For ripping and converting files, I find that Handbrake (free) is a good tool to use. 

DVD Flick (free) is a good tool for putting ripped video files (ex. an .avi movie) onto a dvd with a menu and all that fun stuff.

Maybe MakeUseOf could make a nice all in one guide for everyone showing how to use these tools (if they don’t already/ if Lifehacker doesn’t beat them them too it :P).

• Richard Carpenter

It has been ruled in a court of law that software that copies movies is illegal. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/judge-copying-dvds-is-illegal/ But as I pointed out earlier, If you use the copy in your house, and don’t sell it, give it away, or let someone borrow it, who is going to care. The FBI is not going to bust down your door for making personal copies of DVDs, even if they can prove it, illegal or not. The problem comes in when people sell or give the DVDs away, this is when the Feds will bust down your door. 

• SW

While distribution of that software is illegal, using it is not. It is perfectly legal to rip your own dvds for personal use. It is analogous to online streaming movies that were uploaded by someone illegally, but watched (on megavideo, for instance) legally.