What software can I use to record a video game?

Grace September 3, 2012

What is the best screen recorder (video, audio, mic) for recording game-play on screen? I want to make game-plays on Youtube and need a (preferably free) great screen recorder to record high quality video, microphone, and audio. Any ideas?

1. Thehunting Lion

"Taksi Screen Capture"
    Free, opensource - Lightweight ( not more that 250kB)

Simple to use , no frills software
    Download from http://taksi.sourceforge.net/

2. Yashodhan Bhatt

You can use Camtasia Studio from Techsmith. I would recommend it as i myself received satisfactory results from it. And as far as price is concerned you can always search for the pre-cracked torrent of the paid version!
    Good day!!

3. Vijaynand Mishra

Total Screen Recorder

4. Harish Jonnalagadda

I have used many but currently stick with CamStudio. Lightweight, easy to use and does a good job of recording.

5. Gian Singh

Fraps is good

6. Hiren Patel

Fraps is the best If you have Faster Processor & Enough RAM.
    Alternatively ZD Soft Screen Recorder Will Smoothly work on Lower Processor & RAM.

7. Irshaad Abdool

AVS Screen Recorder

8. Gianna Marie

most of the youtube users use this application.. :D

9. shaurya gupta

fraps or camstudio. i use both

10. Tim Brookes

One thing that others haven't mentioned is that if you want to record an Xbox 360 or PS3 (the second is tricky) then you will need something like the BlackMagic Intensity in order to capture from HDMI to a PC. Thanks to the PS3's copy protection, this can be problematic but one thing you do not want to do is skimp on a capture device!

The Xbox doesn't have the same HDCP encoding which the PS3 and other BluRay players have, so it's an easier machine to record from. I'm not sure if that's what you want to do, but plenty of research is required before selecting a capture device is necessary in order to ensure that you can capture the signal.

Otherwise, FRAPS is the best tool for the job on a Windows PC as far as I know. It's not entirely free, but if you're going to be doing a lot of capturing then it's probably worth it.

11. Vishal Mishra

I think Camstudio (http://camstudio.org/) works for gameplay recording too !!! It's easy, it's open-source.

12. Vipul Jain

Just remember that the file that will be saved would be around 2-5GB as per your recording time. But just run it through a converter once into any format (avi,flv,mkv, mp4), any format, and it will reduce 50-70times.
    Its just that it stores in raw data thus the size is so huge!

Some softwares has been suggested in the link below -

14. Erlis Dhima

I think FRAPS is what you need!
    Check it here:

15. steven ...

Fraps is quite well-know for this, but its shareware.

16. CarmenQing

QuickTime Player may could achieve what you want. The "New Screen Recording" captures desktop, "New Movie Recording" records you, and "New Audio Recording" records sound.

Also Any Video Recorder (http://any-video-recorder.com/) is a good choice and free. But it cannot record the mic.

• Grace

Thanks, I will give it a try!

17. GrrGrrr

here is the best, but paid software:

18. Juan Carlos Espinosa Agudelo

Arguably the most popular program, will be FRAPS, used by people like PewDiePie, but I've heard from others that it makes your FPS drop and that it uses a lot of resources.

I'm not sure, since I haven't tried much myself, but I think this post might be a bit more useful than I am: http://www.freefrag.com/gaming-discussion/20511-game-recording-fraps-vs-bandicam-vs-msi-afterburner-vs-dxtory-vs-playclaw.html

Also, the poster of that puts the price on there, because they have a premium version that generally grants you the ability to make the videos without their watermark and to record for a longer amount of time.

for free have look the following, some freeware come with bundled toolbar...be careful

E.M. Free Game Capture