What software can I use to monitor incoming and outgoing connections in Windows?

Darren Reynolds September 12, 2012

Hi all,

I’m trying to use the Moborobo application via Wi-Fi connection. As yet I have been unable to connect but it works fine via USB. Their support team is being really helpful and trying to work it out, but I just wanted to know if there was any software I can use to try and trace the connections and work out if any are being refused?

Any tips are helpful, thanks!

1. Dylan Brendan

OpenDNS?

2. Brian Kyle

I use wireshark for captures.

3. Abidhusain Momin

Wireshark is best.

4. Darren Reynolds

Thanks people, ive gone with TinyWall, seems to do the trick :)

5. mohit kumar

You can use PeerBlock.

For someone only tangentially interested in his computer's network traffic, I find that the two best methods of analyzing network traffic, and for generating peace of mind, are ZoneAlarm Free Edition firewall and the free TinyWall.

ZoneAlarm is basically a firewall that analyzes incoming and outgoing network traffic. If something looks suspicious (or even slightly suspicious) ZA will tell you precisely what process is attempting to access the internet or who is trying to access your computer externally.

TinyWall basically does something quite similar to ZA, except that it uses Window's own firewall to manage outbound traffic. Justin Pot wrote an excellent article on the subject a short while ago and it's highly recommend reading.

Comodo Firewall or NetBalancer (if you already have a firewall in place)

8. Gian Singh

Windows firewall

9. Vishal Mishra

PC Tools Firewall is a good tool.

10. Usman Mubashir

get a Comodo Firewall, It'll show all incoming and outgoing connections nicely.

12. Ahmed Khalil

I usually use Kaspar Internet security,but this is not useful for your case, So you can try this web site it may help
    http://www.justbajan.com/computer/tips/tracert/index.htm

• jrasulev

Did you mean Kaspersky Internet security?

• jrasulev

There are a a few of free firewalls you can try to control outgoing and incoming traffic.
      E.g. Comodo firewall, Online Armor Free

TCPView may be able to do this for you (refusals may flash by too fast to see). It can be found at Microsoft's SysInternals site. If that doesn't give you what you are looking for, you could use Microsoft's Network Monitor application or Wireshark.