Is there software I can use for judging a competition in real time?

Maja October 20, 2011

I would like to set up a voting system on 10 laptops. It is for a competition that is in real time and presentation based, with each judge awarding points on each laptop. Is there a software solution that can connect these laptops and send the results to a separate computer?

1. Marvelous

I created one myself using VBA, access and excel. It been in use now for over 12 years, (was using Fox Pro then).  For what type of competition is this to be used?

• Baktin101

sir Marvelous can i have your software can you email it to airwin091283@yahoo.com? if you dont mind

• Jennifer

Could you direct me to this software - I am a performing arts director and need to use to for an upcoming competition tryout of around 60 students and need to have my 3 judges put their scores in for 4 separate criteria and then have them send to a talley computer (a computer that will talley all of the scores).

Thanks!

Connect the laptops with LAN.

Create an excel file with names of contestants on each laptop,
    All the judges will write their marks, and save it.
    now on the 11th laptop, you can either manually tally the files,
    Or try to link the data of all the excel files into one file, which will present the result.
    I think it is possible.

Jeff suggested about the tallying text files manually,
    you can merge the text files from the computers using a software, and display in one text file.

Why not just register the votes to a database? You can distribute the same program to all ten systems, then when the program registers a vote it will insert it into the database. You can then create a presentation based on the results. 

You could also log each vote to a text file, gather them individually and tally the votes. 

If the votes must be displayed in real time, you're best bet is to use a web-based application (in ASP or PHP and Ajax) to display what votes are being registered. You may also be able to automate a primitive presentation based on the results logged.