What’s the best software to convert audio to text?
Question by Jes /

I was wondering if it was possible to get an automatically generated transcript from a mp3 file that has some sort of speech (e.g. teleconference, lecture, etc.) recorded on it.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• Audio

If your audio quality is excellent, you can use the software for audio transcription. If your audio files quality is OK or verbatim audio transcription better to go for manual audio transcription

• MCsquared

I down-loaded expressscribe from NCH (u need speech recognition already set up -USE ID 0) -options, speech-to-text.
    I used a sync folder (read the help from the program) the program will down-load whatever additional software it needs (e.g. ffmp3 if you are using MP3 format).
    I used conversion software and output to the sync folder (the program automatically detects (or click the synch button) then will convert the speech (speech-to-text in notes section) I let it run overnight (7 hours) it completed all 10 (each 1 hour long) class lectures. The text is not perfect but it is easier to change or delete the parts I don’t need for lecture notes.

• gkdoda

I found one link in my bookmark. Although, it can convert txt to mp3 for short text in free version. You may like to check the full version.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 Preferred is what I use: http://stuffilikenet.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/dragon-naturally-speaking-9/ is a dictation software suite with 99% accuracy after a very short training period. I am told it gets even better with more training, but I only had time for about half an hour. You can probably tell I don’t have much time for writing either, but I do have time to dictate my thoughts into an MP3 player (more on that in future) during my commute. Dragon can extract my words with pretty fair accuracy, which is enough for me to have something to work with later, since I edit quickly. I can’t recommend it too highly.

• Will

I tried to do that (but with a sound recorder) and the Dragon wouldn’t transcribe any of it. How do you get around the crappy sound quality of recording while you are driving (noises of the road, distance from mouth to recorder, etc)?

• Peliter_cooler

I used my Sansa MP3 player to record;  apparently it’s good enough.

• Peliter_cooler

• Jack Cola

You might want to try the inbuilt voice-to-text option that is included in Windows. Run it and it might work. Although its not the best option, Dragon Naturally Speaking may be a good option – although not free.

• Oron Joffe

There is no off the shelf software that can do this. There are packages like Dragon Dictate, which can convert voice to text fairly well, but they need to be trained to recognise a particular voice.